Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 337381828384 LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale Horseshoe

Fantastic to be back at a race, and a Classic at that. Had a big grin on my face all day. Gabbed my way to Kirkfell before it started to bite a bit. 59th at Great Bourne, 29th at the Finish, only 1 person came past me and stayed there (after I'd gone past him). 3 bloody seconds outside 4 hours though! Good to catch up with so many people as well.

Some good pictures from Jacob Adkin beneath Gable. Not only is he exceptionally good at running, these are a really good set of photos! (It's nice to be captured looking like a fell runner in flow, and not a sweating lumpen mess staggering up the later climbs when my form's gone to pot!)
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...RiSlNuMVE4TGVB
    Last edited by ba-ba; 14-06-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Weather forecast looking potentially very interesting for saturday.

Had planned an outing tomorrow onto the 2nd half of the course to deposit a water bottle for saturday.... although this itself could well be an unpleasant outing.

Hi All,

I've not done this before. Have done Three Peaks and Saddleworth ten res marathon both already this year and have done some of the medium length lakes horseshoes in the past but know this will be a different kettle of fish. My navigation is slightly sketchy I'm thinking it's going to be a tricky day out tomorrow. Any tips and hints? I think there are about 230 entered will there be plenty of people out on the hills? I'm not explicitly going out to just follow people but would be good to see other people to (hopefully) confirm my route choices. I was planning on wearing my roc lites, do I need to reconsider that with the recent weather. I'm planning on taking plenty of food and an extra layer or two just in case I get lost and have a long run back.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've only done this once before, and in the 2nd half of the race you can find yourself well spread out, and i wouldn't guarantee on being able to see someone.

I'd say the main sections where there could be issues are from Haystacks to Green Gable (although there might be a few around you still at this point), and the long section back from Haycock to Crag Fell (although there is a wall most of the way, people seem to run into issues trying to find quicker lines.

In terms of a long run back, i suffered some issues from Green Gable last time, which is pretty much the farthest point out from the start.... i decided i might as well continue the race, rather than trudge 10 miles back down the valley (obviously if completely lost then its a different issue altogether).

Can't comment on roclites as never had them, but i'd always be wearing bona-fide fell shoes on a race like this for sure.

I was hoping/expecting somewhere around an hour longer than my Three Peaks time.... or i should say i was until last night, as i now find myself once again plagued by issues, which i'm sure i'll mention on here at some point.... in fact i'm just off out for a bit of a test-run on Lank Rigg/Caw to see if i'm able to actually race tomorrow!

A pal who was traveling up for tomorrows race has just been informed that it is cancelled!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A pal who was traveling up for tomorrows race has just been informed that it is cancelled!
    The Great North Swim is cancelled:-

https://greatswim.org/great-north-swim

I dont see anything on CFRA website about Ennerdale Horseshoe being cancelled but maybe it has not been updated :-

http://www.cfra.co.uk/
    The older I get the Faster I was

I've just came back from a run out on Caw and Iron Crag to the cancellation news.

While it was definitely unpleasant up there this evening (was blown to a standstill and almost over on several occasions), i've certainly raced in worse.

But the prospect of several degrees colder and significantly stronger winds tomorrow, means they probably didn't have much choice other than to cancel.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    . . . and there's me complaining to myself that the forecast for my race tomorrow (the Hoby Hop) is sunshine, warmth and just a fresh breeze - so it will suit all the fast guys and gals. There's no pleasing some folk!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I am surprised they have not changed to their low level route.

Quote Originally Posted by Levy_danny View Post
    Hi All,

I've not done this before. Have done Three Peaks and Saddleworth ten res marathon both already this year and have done some of the medium length lakes horseshoes in the past but know this will be a different kettle of fish. My navigation is slightly sketchy I'm thinking it's going to be a tricky day out tomorrow. Any tips and hints? I think there are about 230 entered will there be plenty of people out on the hills? I'm not explicitly going out to just follow people but would be good to see other people to (hopefully) confirm my route choices. I was planning on wearing my roc lites, do I need to reconsider that with the recent weather. I'm planning on taking plenty of food and an extra layer or two just in case I get lost and have a long run back.

Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance.

Dan
    Ay up Dan. The main issue with navigation is visibility, that's when you're most likely to go off-course, followed closely by rushing. That can be said for any race of any length. If you're sketchy i'd advise you to enter any race you think you can manage because you won't improve unless you're challenging yourself, but be prepared to go very carefully in poor visibility, and possibly drop out the day before if the forecast is very bad. Your ideal situation is to improve in good weather and hit bad weather races with more ability. Remember that most of the fatalities in fell running have happened to people who went off-course.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent