Thread: Boar's Head Race

Boar's Head Race

5th June 2019

Contrary to rumours that have been circulating recently the Boar's Head pub has not shut down but is re-opening its doors to the public in its new, re-furbished version this Friday (24th.May).

Consequently the Boar's Head race WILL take place as planned and the pub WILL be the registration and Prizegiving venue. I hope this re-assures intending competitors that their journey will not be in vain.

Dave Jones.

I have been running past it on my early morning runs into Lyme Park and could see there was working going on inside.

Boar's Head Hill Race tonight if anyone fancies it. I'll be studying the map carefully after route confusion led to me losing a few places when I last did this about 5 years ago. It looks quite straightforward on the map:

http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/boarshead.htm

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Boar's Head Hill Race tonight if anyone fancies it. I'll be studying the map carefully after route confusion led to me losing a few places when I last did this about 5 years ago. It looks quite straightforward on the map:

http://penninefellrunners.co.uk/boarshead.htm
    My mate who went wrong at Bamford is doing it Noel.

So don't follow a Matlock vest!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    My mate who went wrong at Bamford is doing it Noel.

So don't follow a Matlock vest!
    Above mate has just texted me to say he enjoyed this evenings Boars Head race but "went the wrong way with the first 10ish runners"

FFS. You couldn't make it up.

I can't remember where I read this (possibly in the Fell Runner magazine) but isn't it now suggested that fell races have minimal course marking to differentiate them from trail / mountain races etc. This may explain some of the recent wandering of the leading pack.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I know who that is now, as I was with him at the time. How funny.

And he made the same mistake as me. Following the guys in front. What's even funnier was that it was on the flagged section! I'd paid quite a bit of attention to the unflagged sections on the map when preparing for the race, but thought the flagged sections would be a case of following the field.

In the post-race chats, I'm told there was a rogue flag. One runner even said "we knew this wasn't the normal way, but we'd been told to follow the flags".

Thankfully this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Above mate has just texted me to say he enjoyed this evenings Boars Head race but "went the wrong way with the first 10ish runners"

FFS. You couldn't make it up.
    I know who that is, as I was with him at the time, and made the same mistake - following the runners in front.

In the post-race chat, I'm told there was one rogue flag which led the wrong way. We rejoined the main race a bit later on, with some work to do to make up the places again.

Thankfully it didn't spoil what was a very enjoyable race.

He's a good lad and a good runner, one of those naturals that seem to effortlessly float along.

If he organised his training and diet he could be a VERY good runner!