Page 31 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale Horseshoe

Re: Ennerdale Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Magners View Post
    Well done Andy, we ran round with you on last part of one of your recces. You finished in better shape than I did. Died a death after Pillar and crawled to the finish in 4.11.
    Is it Mark ? cheers mucker i really enjoyed my first AL,will be back for more next year and under 5 hours hopefully.4:11 is a superb time well done that man.Bring on the Wasdale !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Was chatting to a lad from the Isle of Man at Duddon who said he only ever did shortish races, 5, 8-milers that sort of thing, never did long races. He came 25th at Duddon on about 3.30.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I would say that the probable reason for this is you are running below your threshold pace and can recover abit on route, esp if you are eating well
    Also, it depends whether said lad was doing a steady 10-miler once a week as part of his training for these short races.

I don't do long stuff and didn't used to do any steady runs in training. Consequently I was crap at long stuff and used to get beaten in long races by people who were about 40 seconds a mile behind me in short races. I'm using the past tense because I hope my current training will allow the odd long race - we'll see at Holme Moss.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    What do you think Paul
    Nah, that guy seemed ok, you would have stamped inov on the jelly baby and charged me for it and posted photo's of any that Jebby et al were eating and would have been given for free as "tests". Also if i had a geniune complaint such as it only had one leg then you would have kept very quiet and said it was down to the newsagent you got them from to do something about

maddaddy

Ennerdale

I’m mulling over doing Ennerdale – the longest race I have done to date is Edale Skyline and was just wandering if anyone who has done both can tell me how much harder Ennerdale is?
    Or comparing to Langdale which is the toughest lakes race I’ve done to date

Cheers

Master

Re: Ennerdale

Just do it
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    I’m mulling over doing Ennerdale – the longest race I have done to date is Edale Skyline and was just wandering if anyone who has done both can tell me how much harder Ennerdale is?

Cheers
    It is and feels longer than the above two. There are also long dry stretches and you will need to carry some water, particularly on a hot day.
    ydt

It's definitely a step up from Langdale & Edale. When I was running reasonably well I'd do Langdale in 2:30 - 2:40, Edale in 3:20 and Ennerdale in 4:20 - 4:30 to give you an idea of time differences. Yannis is right, though, carry some water cos there's not much on route.

One key thing with Ennerdale is that half way round you're a LONG WAY from the finish - there are no shortcuts back if you run out of steam.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Just do it
    Go on - you won't know until you've tried.

If you do run out of steam, you can always jog back along the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post

Cheers
    I'm the same, though my longest is 3Ps not Edale. I think I'm just gonna go for it, there's a few weeks left yet to throw some big long runs in!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    I'm the same, though my longest is 3Ps not Edale. I think I'm just gonna go for it, there's a few weeks left yet to throw some big long runs in!
    3Ps takes me about 4.30 - Ennerdale took me 5.40. If you are as slow as me you will be mainly on your own for the second half. Make sure you have a good idea of the route.