Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale Horseshoe

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djglover View Post
    Daunted, we recced it 2 weekends ago at a steady pace and it was still very difficult.

My main worry is water. As there was no running water we saw on the racing line at all. I carried 0.5l and still suffered
    I think you will just have to stick your tongue out looking at the forecast.
    Rigby Jerram

Quote Originally Posted by djglover View Post
    Daunted, we recced it 2 weekends ago at a steady pace and it was still very difficult.

My main worry is water. As there was no running water we saw on the racing line at all. I carried 0.5l and still suffered
    Some very kind souls lug water to a few of the checkpoints so you can get a mouthful here and there. And last year I really 'stocked up' at the point where the water comes into the tarn which is a checkpoint (Blackbeck Tarn?). But over all it does seem very dry!

(Just seen the above post... so water might not be as much of an issue.)
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 04-06-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added a bit
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

raining for most of the day. Don't think there'll be a drought up there. Should be nice and boggy and plenty of running water.

Quote Originally Posted by slats View Post
    Wow, talk about over-dramatic! I'll probably live to regret saying that as I'm pelted with cricket-ball-sized hailstones on Saturday...

Water-wise, there are a few places even in drought but often off-route: Just after Haystacks, drop down from the Haystacks-Brandreth col towards Ennerdale and you'll pick up the beck which always has water (shouldn't have to drop down far at all). There's water if you carry on descending straight from Windy Gap instead of picking up the traverse. At Black Sail Pass, if it's dry there, you can head down towards Ennerdale and you'll pick up a stream. There's also a good supply in Silver Cove after Haycock; you have to drop down from the wall but should be able to traverse around from there and so don't have to reascend.

It's far too early to get worried about the weather - forecasts do change....don't they???

Saturday 7th June

"Heavy and prolonged rain will fall over the fells for most of the day, with potentially very hazardous walking conditions as a result. The rain will clear in the evening. Strong southeasterly winds with gusts up to gale force, becoming southerly in the afternoon.

Issued at: 0311 on Thu 5 Jun 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    It's far too early to get worried about the weather - forecasts do change....don't they???

Saturday 7th June

"Heavy and prolonged rain will fall over the fells for most of the day, with potentially very hazardous walking conditions as a result. The rain will clear in the evening. Strong southeasterly winds with gusts up to gale force, becoming southerly in the afternoon.

Issued at: 0311 on Thu 5 Jun 2014!
    Yeah I reckon it'll be bright blue skies on the day Though seriously, it could be a real "challenge" up there this weekend, the extra layers and thick gloves will be going in the bag!

Love a bit of clag cos i know the way

Just a quick note (and conditions may deter folk anyway) to remind you all not to wash yourselves afterwards in the river by the bridge because of the need to protect the water quality. I think Colin is going to advise you all at the start with notes from United Utilities, have a good race all, sorry to miss it but I'll be up working on the LAMM!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Any thoughts on Hay Stacks? Last two times have followed the so called race route to the south following the fence line. Didn't particularly enjoy that way. This year I'm planning on trying the path straight over the top - OK a little more climb, but hope the going is a bit better. Is it just a personal preference thing?
    Totley AC