Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale Horseshoe

Pretty much ever twating thread in the races section has some shite posted from Al about safety GIVE IT A ****ING REST YOU ARE LIKE A STUCK RECORD.I understand you feel strongly about it but your boring the shit out of people.

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Pretty much ever twating thread in the races section has some shite posted from Al about safety GIVE IT A ****ING REST YOU ARE LIKE A STUCK RECORD.I understand you feel strongly about it but your boring the shit out of people.
    Don't read it then.
    A new thread has been started for AI and any others interested, anyway.

Guys, I need some training advice. I'm seriously considering giving Ennerdale a go next year. Not to go fast but just to finish in one piece.

I've only been fell running for 18 months. I've done six AM races and the Three Shires was my first AL. It was a relatively short race of 12 miles, but I was exhausted after. It made me think that I have to really up my game if I'm going to survive something like Ennerdale/ Wasdale/ Borrowdale.

Any advice on how to train for something like that? I live in Durham and there are hills but not in the same league as the lakes. Its not feasible for me to drive to the Lakes to train regularly.

I was thinking along the lines of long runs 20-25 miles every fortnight. In between, hill reps sessions. And perhaps a trail marathon in the winter, then build up to the Yorkshire 3 peaks or Edale skyline in the spring.

Or maybe this is all suicidal and perhaps I should just stick to shorter fell races in the North York Moors and just focus on getting faster.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dcglim; 26-09-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Tales of running and the fells
    RunningJunkie.net

been trying to get in touch with organiser of the trail run this weekend the phone just keeps going to answer machine does anyone know them im wanting a place for the 50 km ultra can anyone help i know its not the fell race

Quote Originally Posted by dcglim View Post
    Guys, I need some training advice. I'm seriously considering giving Ennerdale a go next year. Not to go fast but just to finish in one piece.

I've only been fell running for 18 months. I've done six AM races and the Three Shires was my first AL. It was a relatively short race of 12 miles, but I was exhausted after. It made me think that I have to really up my game if I'm going to survive something like Ennerdale/ Wasdale/ Borrowdale.

Any advice on how to train for something like that? I live in Durham and there are hills but not in the same league as the lakes. Its not feasible for me to drive to the Lakes to train regularly.

I was thinking along the lines of long runs 20-25 miles every fortnight. In between, hill reps sessions. And perhaps a trail marathon in the winter, then build up to the Yorkshire 3 peaks or Edale skyline in the spring.

Or maybe this is all suicidal and perhaps I should just stick to shorter fell races in the North York Moors and just focus on getting faster.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like you've got a good plan sorted! If you can manage a couple of trips to hillier areas it'd be useful - not just physically but also psychologically - for you to get some big runs with lots of ascent (6000+ feet) under your belt. The longer 20-25 mile runs will certainly help build up the endurance and get you used to running for 4+ hours, and I'd say the hillier the better.

Edale Skyline and Y3P are great events and certainly will help, but don't treat them the same as Ennerdale; they're a different kettle of fish. Another good race - more in the character of Ennerdale - that is a great "warm up" is the Teenager with Altitude. 15.4 miles with 7600ft of ascent, in the northern Lakes.

Best of luck!

Get your long runs done wherever is most convenient (near home I presume). How many depends on you personally but just get to a stage where heading out for, say, 20 miles is a natural thing you don't have to unduly worry about, and you know with the right food and drink etc you can get round it relatively unscathed. If it's hilly great, undulating fine, flat then don't worry too much.

I'd aim for some Lakes races to adapt to the severity of the hills. Buttermere Sailbeck & Teenager with Altitude pack a lot of climbing into their shorter (than Ennerdale) distances and will get you used to big climbs with good running in between. And they're perfectly times for getting Ennerdale-fresh.

Don't forget the navigation element, on a non-champs year the Ennerdale field can string right out and picking a good route is key to saving enough energy for the fast (long) run in. Try some local orienteering events, and as well as nav practice you can also use them as interval sessions making up for every wrong turn (or is that just me!!).

Three Shires is a good start race-wise, but just remember you'll need to do whatever you feel necessary to be capable of running straight past the Three Shires Inn and going round for a second helping!!

Consistency is key, and planning, and most of all...enjoying it all! Ennerdale is ace.

Thanks Sam Harrison and chevon torchlight! I'll give TWA a go next year and use it as a training/ litmus test.

Three shires twice is a sobering thought. But it is what it is.
    Tales of running and the fells
    RunningJunkie.net

I am also trying to train for the Ennerdale Horseshoe 2015. I thought the biggest challenge would be training for the distance of the race, but I checked out the first half of the route yesterday and realised my main challenge will be training myself to move quickly over rough/rocky ground, and also to run the downhills properly! At the moment I am ridiculously slow at both of these and would lose so much time/find the race extremely frustrating unless I do something about it!
    I am from the Lake District but am a student living in Leeds at the moment so can't get home often - I wasn't planning on coming home at all before Easter next term. Does anyone have any ideas of how to train for this is the much flatter area of Leeds? And how to tackle the 'rough ground/descending' problem?

I am also trying to train for the Ennerdale Horseshoe 2015. I thought the biggest challenge would be training for the distance of the race, but I checked out the first half of the route yesterday and realised my main challenge will be training myself to move quickly over rough/rocky ground, and also to run the downhills properly! At the moment I am ridiculously slow at both of these and would lose so much time/find the race extremely frustrating unless I do something about it!
    I am from the Lake District but am a student living in Leeds at the moment so can't get home often - I wasn't planning on coming home at all before Easter next term. Does anyone have any ideas of how to train for this is the much flatter area of Leeds? And how to tackle the 'rough ground/descending' problem?

Banned
    Get fell racing round Yorkshire first Rosie. This will get you used to rough ground, then increase your distances.
    You will probably be better doing a recce of the route too to establish your fitness and ability to complete the race.