Page 79 of 84 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Ennerdale Horseshoe

I wonder if I saw you Travs on the descent down from Windy Gap. I was a bit in my own little world of pain by that stage but I definitely recall passing someone around there who seemed to be looking rather dubiously at one of their shoes. Yesterday was my first Ennerdale and has gone straight to the top of my 'toughest Lakes fell race' list ahead of Buttermere. I survived, just about, but I'm not sure that what I was doing for the last 7-8 miles could really be described as running in any conventional sense. It's hard to imagine the levels of fitness and toughness of those who can consider actually racing over such a route. Completing it with only one shoe would be up there mind you - that's a fine effort. All the best with Buttermere.

‘ I could’ve been like Bear Grylls.....if it wasn’t for them meddling kids’

When entering the scout camp that acted as race headquarters I’m left with a feeling of disappointment for what could’ve been. I always get the same feeling whenever I’m in the vicinity of any scout camp or hut.

During my formative years as a child there was a scout hut at the end of our street, it was literally a two minute walk from my parents house. I’d see the scouts walking past our house and I’d feel envious...I wanted to be one of them. But, any thoughts I’d have of joining the scouts would remain a pipe dream....because of meddling kids.

The meddling kids in question were the older lads that lived on our street. They didn’t appreciate the scouts ideology and thought it as being ‘sad’ and woe betide any of us younger lads if we thought differently.

The older lads had a point. Where’s the fun in learning life skills and spending weekends away in amazing locations when you can hang out in Chorley doing nowt....yeah, it must’ve been really ‘sad’ being in the scouts.

It’s quite ironic that the highlight of the week for the older lads focused around the scouts. They’d lay in wait and chase the scouts up the road as they made their way to the hut. The scout motto: ‘Be Prepared’ couldn’t have been more appropriate when running the gauntlet up our street. The chase would often involve dog shit skewed onto the end of a stick. If the scouts got a clean getaway, which they often did given their survival skills, the older lads would then take out their frustrations on us younger kids. I’d regularly be on the receiving end of a shitty stick.

What if we’d have stuck up to the older lads and grabbed the stick with both hands and refused to take anymore shit....so to speak. I guess it’s all hypothetical now, the meddling kids ruled the roost on our street and as for chief scout Bear Grylls...you’ve had it easy pal.

Forward to the now...

It was great to see Joss Naylor giving out the prizes at the race presentation. When Joss speaks a hush falls over the crowd as we contentedly listen to his every word. Joss tells us Ennerdale is one of the greatest horseshoe races in the world and fellrunning is the greatest sport in the world.

Whilst I’m sat in the sun listening to the great man I feel privileged to be in such an awe inspiring location surrounded by likeminded people. This is the life...I wonder what the older lads from yesteryear are up to these days. I bet they’re not as ‘sad’ as me...give me the shit end of the stick any day.

As for the race...Joss says it’s one of the best, what more needs to be said?

Many thanks to all concerned.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hancock View Post
    I wonder if I saw you Travs on the descent down from Windy Gap. I was a bit in my own little world of pain by that stage but I definitely recall passing someone around there who seemed to be looking rather dubiously at one of their shoes. Yesterday was my first Ennerdale and has gone straight to the top of my 'toughest Lakes fell race' list ahead of Buttermere. I survived, just about, but I'm not sure that what I was doing for the last 7-8 miles could really be described as running in any conventional sense. It's hard to imagine the levels of fitness and toughness of those who can consider actually racing over such a route. Completing it with only one shoe would be up there mind you - that's a fine effort. All the best with Buttermere.
    I'd say it is very likely that was me... I remember a few people passing me on that section.

On the "runnable last 6/7 miles" I caught up with two guys near the back of the field. After clearing the summit rocks on Haycock they said "great, we can start running now".... they lasted about 300 yards before pulling up knackered!

All, just a quick note as Chris isnt on this forum (yet)to say a huge THANK YOU for taking the time to fill out his questionnaires for Uni research. Especially the post race one which I know cant have been easy after such an effort! He was expecting around 15 to 20, he got 65!! Which is a fantastic sample and once again highlights the generosity of fell runners. He should get some very interesting results from such a sample. He is still planning to go to Buttermere & Wasdale to collect more. He'll put the results on here in due course. Many thanks also to RO Colin Dulson for allowing him to hijack his race.

It was a fantastic day & I agree with Darren, listening to Joss talk, quite emotionally, about this race and its meaning to the great man was a special moment.

Thanks again everyone.

cheers
    Duncan
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

What a cracking route Ennerdale is, sadly I couldnt enjoy it anywhere near as much as I was hoping.

Things started off promisingly with the steady trot along the shoreline before the climb up Great Bourne, hard work but still going good. Carelessly coming off the top I rolled my ankle, my own daft fault not concentrating, painfull but not too bad I thought so carried on. The next hour or so flew by as I met up with Bill Beckett, having a good old chat about running and reminiscing about rock music the time flew by. Still going cautiously and ankle was behaving itself so alls good, so i thought.

That all changed beyond Green Gable, rolled it several more times, each time more painfull than the last, just felt weak as hell. By now i was just hobbling, should've dropped out really but there's no short-cut back so though I might as well carry on. Saw Travs at the cobblers top of Pillar getting his trainer sorted, great effort pal for carrying on.

By now I was slowing all the time, shuffled round with a tattoed scouser guy and a couple of young lads doing their first fell race, we was all struggling so encouraged each other along. Unfortunatley we took a wrong turn just before Crag Fell and that finished me off big style.
    Managed to get back on route but by then I was gone. Limped home in 7hrs 22 mins, absolutely shagged.

Massive thanks to all the ladies and gents at the finish still waiting for us back markers, such a friendly bunch, loudest cheer I've ever had finishing a race, many thanks, if thats what the reception is like when you finish near the back I think I'll do it more often.
    The tea, sausage rolls and flapjacks worked a treat.
    Probably about and hour and half slower than I was hoping, but nevermind, live to fight another day (once this ankles sorted)

Overall what a great route, just gutted I couldnt enjoy it as much as I'd hoped, oh and the long drive back to Hull was uncomfortable to say the least.

To quote Arnie "I'll be back"
    Last edited by Fozzy42; 11-06-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Great stuff Fozzy. When you're having a bad day with injuries, and then make route mistakes, it's incredibly demoralising, very impressive for you to rectify it and get to the finish.

You must have been one of the guys I came back past between Pillar and Iron Crag. I definitely recall the two younger lads. As I descended Pillar I watched them start to head up towards the top of Black Crags, but then double back to follow someone (possibly yourself) on the lower level trod. I think I eventually came back past you just as we came off Haycock.

I expect that I can picture where you went wrong before Crag Fell. A path bears off left and takes a shortcut to avoid following the wall round the dog-leg, but you need to make sure you fork right again to get back to the bottom of Crag Fell. I made good time here on people who followed the wall, despite being shoeless, as it was nice and grassy, but then had two huge bouts of cramp on the climb up Crag Fell.
    Last edited by Travs; 11-06-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Yep you passed me not too long after Pillar looking strong. I was the bald headed guy in a East Hull red vest, I briefly spoke to you top of Pillar, I said you looked liked you rolled down the red scree as you was covered in dust.

Haha yes I remember briefly speaking to you... apologies if I was a little untalkative... my mind was (hopefully understandably) a little distracted...!

I also recall Jim Paxman of Dark Peak commenting that I had a "hole in my arse" in reference to the fact my unorthodox descent of Red Gully had left me with only one arse-cheek left of my shorts.

It was a bit brutal wasn't it. Some great persistence displayed by people on here, and a guy I was running near for much of the Buttermere ridge ended up with a blister covering the front half of his foot by Blackbeck Tarn, I was struggling even without any injuries or broken shoes! Took an awful line off Kirk Fell and had a minor fall which didn't set me up well for the endless climb to Pillar, which was deeply deeply unpleasant. Just one foot in front of the other. As always for the rest of the day I was thinking about never running again, and now a couple of days later I'm thinking about how I made such hard work of it...

results

http://www.cfra.co.uk/results/Ennerdale2018.pdf

and huge congratulations to Ally of the forum finishing 4th... superb!
    Last edited by Travs; 12-06-2018 at 12:11 PM.