Thread: Is it too late to carry on...

Is it too late to carry on...

...with Marathon training.

Hi there, just wanted an opinion perhaps to boost my confidence. I started training for the Beachy head marathon 3 months ago, and got as far as a 40 mile week (with 18 mile long run) I noticed a niggle in ankle, that got better after 10 miles or so. During the next few runs it became more of a pain than a niggle. I was advised to rest for 2 weeks, recover etc. So after rest had another run, pain still there, I was going on holiday so I thought, I wont run until I get back... So far a total of three weeks off!

My ankle feels much better now, I've been stretching, doing yoga, balancing and walking etc. I reckon that I'll be alright to start again, but my question is with three weeks down the swany already is it really worth it?

Super Moderator

Re: Is it too late to carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    ...with Marathon training.

Hi there, just wanted an opinion perhaps to boost my confidence. I started training for the Beachy head marathon 3 months ago, and got as far as a 40 mile week (with 18 mile long run) I noticed a niggle in ankle, that got better after 10 miles or so. During the next few runs it became more of a pain than a niggle. I was advised to rest for 2 weeks, recover etc. So after rest had another run, pain still there, I was going on holiday so I thought, I wont run until I get back... So far a total of three weeks off!

My ankle feels much better now, I've been stretching, doing yoga, balancing and walking etc. I reckon that I'll be alright to start again, but my question is with three weeks down the swany already is it really worth it?
    I'd definitely carry on! BHM is a really great event (I've done it last 3years) and if you were fit enough to run a 40mile week 3weeks ago you won't have lost much.

I don't know what your target is/was but there's a real mix of walkers, runners and 'joggers' in the field and a fantastic atmosphere on the day. Running over the Seven Sisters is a real highlight

Re: Is it too late to carry on

I'll just have to see how it goes this week, back to training on Tuesday! If ankle holds out this week I'll have a nice long run on Sunday and see how I feel about it all!