Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell running in Iceland

Fell running in Iceland

Any suggestions?? got 2 weeks to play with and a road map!!
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Re: Fell running in Iceland

Ran the Laugavegur race in July - well marked, famous backpacking route from Landmannalaugur to Thorsmork (both about 3-4hrs drive from Reykjavik). I would have thought this would make a cracking unsupported run - about 55k, very varied, fair amount of climbing.

Which part(s) of Iceland are you going to wynn and when?

30th Sept - Flying in to Rek then following day to the north Akeyreri???? then clockwise by car back to Rek over 13 days. I've looked for the equivelent of an OS map just don't know the areas and Steve is flat out on a contract up until 3 hrs before the flight and i suspect i'll have to prise him out for the flight hopefully we won't miss it like the one to Geneva recently
    Last edited by wynn; 22-09-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Stanfords have got decent scale maps for iceland
    We walked the route from landmannalaugar a few years ago. It would make an excellent run, and is well worth doing. We had a 1:100 000 map as it was the best we could get, but I see on stanfords that the map now has a 1:50 000 section on the reverse.
    Hope you have a good trip
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

thanks Jane, ordered and on there way

There's many areas in Iceland which aren't covered by maps, they don't have the equivilant of OS maps - my dad works in the national parks pathway marking/building and updating footpath maps, but they are fairly basic and difficult to keep up to date as some places change from summer to summer
    Fell running can be a bit tricky because of the terrain, but then there are races over there so there are good places to run. Sounds like the map janeho has mentioned will be good, other than that I expect basic footpath maps will be available when you get there Or I can ask my old man!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    There's many areas in Iceland which aren't covered by maps, they don't have the equivilant of OS maps - my dad works in the national parks pathway marking/building and updating footpath maps, but they are fairly basic and difficult to keep up to date as some places change from summer to summer
    Fell running can be a bit tricky because of the terrain, but then there are races over there so there are good places to run. Sounds like the map janeho has mentioned will be good, other than that I expect basic footpath maps will be available when you get there Or I can ask my old man!!
    does he do vocabulary lessons - or tongue extensions!!!
    could he recommend something for the north east of the island, i've ordered the Huskavik map but theres quite a gap round to the east with no coverage

It's worth remembering that summer ends on 30th Aug (I didn't belive it until I woke up on 1st Sept with the tent shredded around me and snow falling) and the mountain roads can quickly become impassable so you may be limited to places on the ring road. Landmaelingar Islands is the equivalent of OS - they do hiking maps of the main areas and last time I was there I picked up a CD of 1:50k maps of most of the central areas which was due to be extended to cover the far east and west. Tourist information centres usually have a good stock of maps including local ones of hiking routes (Gönguleiðir). N and NE Iceland there is Jökulsargljufur National park with a 2d day trail route, Myvatn, Trollskagi. Also a lot of hiking trails in the E fjords eg round Seydisfjördur/Borgafjördur some of which are marked and there´s a basic map. Also Lonsraefi (north of Hofn) and Skaftafell on south coast both have good networks of trails. þorsmörk and Landmannalauger also but they would probably be unreachable unless you have a super jeep

Sat outside in the cold....-2, with beer in hand watching the northern lights play over the hills in the distance, the snow reflecting the lights...... can it get better than this.
    thanks everyone for the help with maps and suggestions....