Thread: Pumlumon Challenge, Sat 27th

Pumlumon Challenge, Sat 27th

Anyone who has run this before; what is the going like underfoot?

Long live the Mourne Mountain Marathon - Laraine and I had a great time and an unusually dry Ulster weekend - very friendly event on some different terrain.
    Courir? Les serviteurs feront cela pour nous.

Re: Pumlumon Challenge, Sat 27

Quote Originally Posted by west end View Post
    Anyone who has run this before; what is the going like underfoot?

Long live the Mourne Mountain Marathon - Laraine and I had a great time and an unusually dry Ulster weekend - very friendly event on some different terrain.
    It has everything in it, including real fell terrain. The route changes every year. Pitty I can't do it, it falls on the same w/e as my Arenig race.
    Yiannis

Very mixed. There are quite long sections on hardpacked stoney trails and some forest road. Up on the hill tops the paths along the Pumlumon ridge itself are well defined turf, peat and some stone. Once the source of the River severn is passed and the route then crosses to the east and north of Nant-y-Moch reservoir then there are long stretches of very boggy and tussocky ground including several river crossings. Good trail shoes with some cushioning and a grip needed!

Thanks Yiannis, Eddie - sounds like a job for the Roclites with the tread left.
    Courir? Les serviteurs feront cela pour nous.

Done all 3 so far (I even won the first one - but there weren't many of us running ). So really p****d off I have to attend a wedding in Surrey on Saturday . Pumlumon is also my home stomping ground.

Bit of everything in it. Some will be a bit boggy/damp in places, other bits good tracks. It is quite well marked, so though you need a map (which is provided by organisers at registration, marked up for you) you probably won't have to consult it unless the clag is down and you miss a marker.

Have a feeling the route may have changed a bit again this year - noticed the mileage given was slightly different - but it is normally minimal change and basics of the route stay the same.

Take some grub, minimal provided, including the most inedible waffles ever at one checkpoint. Should be plenty of stream water for drinking (never harmed me). Roclites will be fine.
    Good luck, wish I was there. Moley.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Should be plenty of stream water for drinking (never harmed me)
    Says you..... d'ya mix it with pineapple?

I think the going is generally pretty good: if you know exactly where to run. If you step off the best line, I think things can be hard going (tussocks and that sort of thing). The long section down the west going stream at the north of the course is very wild and can be quite boggy.

My general impression of the race was that the terrain and running was a dead ringer for an OMM. It's a really good course: a fantastic race. Enjoy it! I'll be there.

Last year there was a dead sheep in the source of the River Severn. Maybe not all the water is as sweet as it might be!

In terms of footwear, a pair of trail running shoes would be fine (Vasque Velocity VSTs for me), but then I think that very few races require fell running shoes.

Bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone is driving to the Pumlumon from the yorkshire-ish area? I'm in Leeds and the car is out of action... Train looks like it's 8 hours...

Thanks,
    Stuart