Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petzl Ultra

Re: Petzl Ultra

I posted this in the Petzl Myo warning thread, but I've tried out the Petzl Ultra. It's pretty fantastic. Like no other headlamp I'd ever seen. I woudln't use it on trails for which my trusty Tikka Plus or Myo XP are adequate, but on gnarly descents the Ultra proves its worth and its certainly worth a few extra ounces. I can't say if it's worththe extra money. I've got a short review in the following post: http://blog.irunfar.com/2008/08/orsm-08-in-brief.html .

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Give me a shout when you're ready to head up the fells again - i may have something of interest
    Britta, you have us all rivetted now. Every headtorch geek in the NW will be turning up for the first Ambleside Owl run this winter!!

Britta, you have us all rivetted now. Every headtorch geek in the NW will be turning up for the first Ambleside Owl run this winter!!
    Well, there's a couple of early Ambleside 'test-flights' scheduled in for tuesday and thursday next week. Probably Fairfield horseshoe on tuesday and Coniston horseshoe or something from Kentmere on thursday!

So far i've only got 4 different torches to try out though .

I doubt Bill wants to be out again that soon though, so being the 'torch anorak' amongst us, he can do some further testing whenever he's ready

Test results/first imprssions will be in the next magazine!

Britta

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Goat View Post
    I posted this in the Petzl Myo warning thread, but I've tried out the Petzl Ultra. It's pretty fantastic. Like no other headlamp I'd ever seen. I woudln't use it on trails for which my trusty Tikka Plus or Myo XP are adequate, but on gnarly descents the Ultra proves its worth and its certainly worth a few extra ounces. I can't say if it's worththe extra money. I've got a short review in the following post: http://blog.irunfar.com/2008/08/orsm-08-in-brief.html .
    Cheers for that Trail Goat, just returned from an hour or so out on the tops in the dark with the MYO XP, a great performer...took my Tikka XP to compare and the MYO is alot brighter.....
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

Is there any upgrade in spec for the myolite (3) in terms of weight, beam reach and clarity etc does anyone know...useful thread so far for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Well, there's a couple of early Ambleside 'test-flights' scheduled in for tuesday and thursday next week. Probably Fairfield horseshoe on tuesday and Coniston horseshoe or something from Kentmere on thursday!

So far i've only got 4 different torches to try out though .

I doubt Bill wants to be out again that soon though, so being the 'torch anorak' amongst us, he can do some further testing whenever he's ready

Test results/first imprssions will be in the next magazine!

Britta
    Do you need anyone to test any?

think I might have to invest in a better headtorch or some glasses after taking a tumble tonight!

Just been out for a little stroll in the woods to test the ultra and I can certainly vouch that it is pretty flippin good. Even at its lowest output the illumination is impressive. At its maximum, you wouldn't want to be the person in front looking back over your shoulder. ...

Will have the remote battery pack model in the next few days and I am fairly sure this will be the prefered one for running as the weight of the battery on the head is significant when running/wobbling.

Its a lot of money, but if you need the light for serious fell/mountain running at nights then I dont think I have seen the Petzl Ultra's equal. Though I expect for many the MyoBelt xp would probably suffice at about 1/4 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Do you need anyone to test any?

think I might have to invest in a better headtorch or some glasses after taking a tumble tonight!
    Hey you get in line
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    The Myo XP 08 is an adequate lamp but don't expect anything spectacular. The Ultra is supposed to be in a different league altogether.
    Should be for the silly money it costs , how mutch light do you need?
    I might be Tup , But not too Tup to know that I am Tup:w00t:

Fellhound

Well, I've not really been happy with the Tikka XP or the Myo XP 08 (though it's partly to do with the beam pattern being too narrow without the diffuser and too weak and scattered with the diffuser).

The Duo 14LED is a great lamp though; it gives a good flood of light just where you want it for running and has the halogen for those rare occasions when you need a long (100 metre) beam. It's also a very robust lamp - tough enough for potholing so should cope with the rigours of night fellrunning. If it has a fault it's that it is a little heavy, though to be honest you don't really notice that once it's on yer bonce.

The price is about £80 which is a good reflection ('scuse pun ) of it's superiority over the Myo XP and yet not an unreasonable amount to spend. I've had mine for years now (though it started life as a 5LED version) and it has seen other lamps come along, be tested then rejected. I still go back to the Duo each time. Recommended.