Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubricant for XC spikes

Lubricant for XC spikes

I understand I need to keep my XC spikes lubricated to ensure they don't seize up. I've put Vaseline on them, which is ok, but it's a bit messy as it goes everywhere (as you have to use your finger to apply a blob rather than just squirt it out of a tube into the screw plate.

Going to store them without the spikes & just put them in when I'm going to race.

Is there any specific lubricants for the spikes?

Any other advice on care for them?

Also are there specific spanners for the spikes? I've bought a range of spikes & the key supplied will work with most of them, but some of them aren't compatible. An adjustable wrench looks like it would do the job, but is there a more specific type of tool??
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Re: Lubricant for XC spikes

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Dump them in the kitchen after every race, bang them together at the next race to get the previous mud off. Repeat process...

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Dump them in the kitchen after every race, bang them together at the next race to get the previous mud off. Repeat process...

think mine will be going in the mop bucket to soak!!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

A little town nestling in the pennine foothills

Just spray a bit of WD40 on the threads when you change them, no worries. If you can't get one of the spikes out then adjustable grippers and a vice does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Widdy View Post
    Just spray a bit of WD40 on the threads when you change them, no worries. If you can't get one of the spikes out then adjustable grippers and a vice does the trick.
    I'd always understood WD40 was a degreasing agent & not a lubricant - surely this could lead to the risk of seizure?

What about one of the special bike lubes?? I have some bottom bracket grease - wondering if that would be suited?
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Bottom bracket grease would be excellent!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    i find leavin them outside for 2 days before dumping them helps tremendously
    allan get some wonderlube

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Bottom bracket grease would be excellent!

Have you used it before Brett?
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

LOL went into the supermarket to ask for some vaseline (as I'd read you can use that), asked on of the shop girls where the vaseline was, she wasn't sure if she had any in. Eventually she directed me to where the vaseline was & said "not sure if this is the stuff you want or not"??? I nearlly replied "well I'm only wanting it for lubrication purposes", just stopped myself from saying that when I realised how that could be misinterpreted!!!... :-0
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    I understand I need to keep my XC spikes lubricated to ensure they don't seize up. I've put Vaseline on them, which is ok, but it's a bit messy as it goes everywhere (as you have to use your finger to apply a blob rather than just squirt it out of a tube into the screw plate.

Going to store them without the spikes & just put them in when I'm going to race.

Is there any specific lubricants for the spikes?

Also are there specific spanners for the spikes? I've bought a range of spikes & the key supplied will work with most of them, but some of them aren't compatible. An adjustable wrench looks like it would do the job, but is there a more specific type of tool??
    i just use plyers as the tools i have had before spanners etc. get shredded too quickly. Especially when you have to change the length of the spikes!
    Vaseline the insides so as not to knacker me heels out and i used car Greese last time, it worked wonders on the spike. also when they arn't in use i give em a right good clean and take the spikes out.

saying that my last pair is in the bin due to running over a bridge and knackering the spike holes up! i got stuck on the bridge then fell in the mud as i didn't have any spikes on one shoe!