Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 49 or 50 somethings?

Re: 49 or 50 somethings?

a route that visits 50 pubs

Fellhound

Well, LUMPS (the Longridge Unafilliated Mountaineering Peregrination Society) and DUMPS (the Derbyshire version) hold "20-20" walks every year (20 miles and 20 pubs). Great fun they are too However, I think 50 miles and 50 pubs might be a bevy too far even for the redoubtable walking boozers in those two august bodies..

This could be the start of a 24-hour record for the serious drinking classes!

Ay up Trundler,

as discussed in the boozer last night how about linking 49 lakeland tarns?

Done a bit of googling and there are 2 Cicerone books by John Nuttall covering them and you are more than welcome to borrow my Heaton Cooper 'Tarns of Lakeland' book. It's a cracker.

Cheers, Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
    Ay up Trundler,

as discussed in the boozer last night how about linking 49 lakeland tarns?

Done a bit of googling and there are 2 Cicerone books by John Nuttall covering them and you are more than welcome to borrow my Heaton Cooper 'Tarns of Lakeland' book. It's a cracker.

Cheers, Ali
    I first thought that Ali but when I looked at the spacing of them in Heaton Coopers book it didn't seem any different to going for summits, but of course you aren't doing the same sort of ascent

I think Trundler may need to relax the 12 hour limit

Found a KML file of all the tarns in the Nuttall books, this is starting to look ok
    Last edited by Baggins; 03-10-2008 at 02:10 PM.
    Bill

Fellhound

Hmmmmmmm........ There seems to be quite a lot of tarns!!

Thanks for the ideas though chaps. I'll plump for something soon, though I'm gonna need to get my head around "proper" training again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Well, LUMPS (the Longridge Unafilliated Mountaineering Peregrination Society) and DUMPS (the Derbyshire version) hold "20-20" walks every year (20 miles and 20 pubs). Great fun they are too However, I think 50 miles and 50 pubs might be a bevy too far even for the redoubtable walking boozers in those two august bodies..

This could be the start of a 24-hour record for the serious drinking classes!
    I'm interested in completing the 20mile 20pubs walk this year... any idea on how I enter?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Flossy View Post
    I'm interested in completing the 20mile 20pubs walk this year... any idea on how I enter?
    You will need to register at the Alston Arms pub in Longridge Lancashire. Registration is usually on a Tuesday and a Thursday night about a week or two before the 'walk'. The date has not been set for this years walk yet but is is usually in June.
    It's a cracking day out, usually between 300-400 enter, some in fancy dress, some even run it (not recommended).
    I've done about 8 of them, most memorable in their own unique way.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Flossy View Post
    ... any idea on how I enter?
    follow the signs to the Walker's Bar

Master

When I turned 50 I briefly came down from the fells and away from ultra running and went and ran Lochaber Marathon and managed 1st Vet 50 and have a small trophy to boot.

Still don`t like road running though but glad I thought out of the box.
    The older I get the Faster I was

[QUOTE=willycopter;472592]You will need to register at the Alston Arms pub in Longridge Lancashire.

Cheers Willy, Do you know i there is any kind of postal entry? I live almost 2 hours drive away and it's a bit much for a Tuesday night