Thread: Mount Cameroon Fell race?

Mount Cameroon Fell race?

Anyone ever done this one?

Could be next year's Skaala for me, although acclimatisation will clearly be more than essential!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_C...n_Race_of_Hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_YTDBqxd_Y

Re: Mount Cameroon Fell race?

My 'to do' list gets bigger everyday

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Looks like a fantastic challenge Shorty, best of luck.

"Mount Cameroon Race of Hope

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    The Mount Cameroon Race of Hope is an annual, televised footrace held at Mount Cameroon in......................."

I appreciate the fact that you hope to take part in a televised event as you're box office gold in front of the camera.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Anne did it in 1992 when it was the Guinness Mount Cameroon race.

It was an international race then, and Anne and Jack Maitland had been selected to represent England.
    Training on the mountain a day or two before the race, Anne damaged her ankle badly. She said that if it had been any other race she would never have gone ahead and done the race with such a painful ankle, but having had her flight out, accommodation and race entry all paid for her by the race organisers she felt she had to race.
    Mike Short, who was managing things, dosed her up with 'brufen and she did the race, but was disappointed not to have been able to run to her full ability.

She says it was very memorable, and one of the toughest things she's ever done.
    Big factors were the heat and humidity. Even high up the heat didn't seem to lessen much, and down in the jungle where it started it was terrible. Anne carried a litre of water with her and she says that at the top she was literally being attacked by Cameroonian runners trying to get her water because they were so dehydrated - but she'd carried it up and wasn't going to let go of it!!
    The 13000' descent virtually pales the Ben Nevis descent into insignificance! It's volcanic rock, so it's hard underfoot, and then there's a long (10k?) run on the road through the jungle at the bottom. Anne's thighs were trashed by the end.
    Then... just in case this hasn't sounded enough... she ended up with 1st degree burns - her arms were all blistered. She'd coated herself with suncream but it had washed off with the sweat.

Apparently Jack Maitland was revered in Buea, where the race starts from - people would come up and greet him and shake his hand all the time - he'd won the race several times and held the record then (don't know if he still does).
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Brilliant little write up that BillJ - sounds horrific, still will have to be done!