Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks until a 13 miler.

Re: 4 weeks until a 13 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyTooSLow! View Post
    Yer it is! haha so the weeks before a big event should go as follows in an ideal situation,
    4weeks before:- Long runs
    3weeks:- Intervals and leg strenghening
    2weeks:- Even More intervals
    1 to 1 and a half weeks before:- resting and gentle runs to keep the legs turning over comfortably!

This is where you need to work out which event you want to take more seriously so you can prepare well.
    Jeepers that sounds awful; think of all the great runs you'd be missing out on!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Jeepers that sounds awful; think of all the great runs you'd be missing out on!
    Haha it does look awful!!
    but it needs to be done to run well at the big races

Quote Originally Posted by JoshyTooSLow! View Post
    Haha it does look awful!!
    but it needs to be done to run well at the big races
    Why worry about 'big' races at all? I can't talk about road running but it seems to me that most of the top of the field fell runners are racing most weekends, week in week out. Al's big race was more because it was an unknown distance rather than it being FLM or the 3P or something standoutish like that. The best thing I'd have thought is to just carry on running and then run the distance and see what happens. Better still run the distance today and see what happens in advance of the race or even better still recce the route itself today. Having run the distance and/or the route he'll be well prepared for the er.. distance .

Recce the route beforehand Al. Don't worry about the time too much...just ENJOY x
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Why worry about 'big' races at all? I can't talk about road running but it seems to me that most of the top of the field fell runners are racing most weekends, week in week out. Al's big race was more because it was an unknown distance rather than it being FLM or the 3P or something standoutish like that. The best thing I'd have thought is to just carry on running and then run the distance and see what happens. Better still run the distance today and see what happens in advance of the race or even better still recce the route itself today. Having run the distance and/or the route he'll be well prepared for the er.. distance .
    Well it totally depends on what you want to get out of your sport? If you go for the self sense of achievement of getting around the course or for the race and to see how you compare with the top lads?
    I don’t know a lot about road running but the lads you’re talking about are they at local level or national level?
    I thought the question was "how Al could physically prepare himself" but I also think that running the course is a good way to prepare yourself! It is also the question of what are Al’s goals for the race? But what ever they are enjoy it!!

Well i was a bit unsure about whether i should do this or not because i didnt know whether i'd be able to make the distance, but thinking about it now, although ive only ever done ten miles, that was two months ago at a time when i'd only run 60 miles in total since starting running again in march after a 3 year break.

Its more of an off-road race really with road sections that get you to the next footpaths.

All i need to do now is sit down and try and plot the route out because alot of the route i didnt even know existed.....i may end up having to tag along with someone.

when is it Al?

Its this saturday

Graeme

Seriously AL, don't worry about it, it's an LDWA event so take your time and follow the directions provided. As long as your paying attention you should be ok.
    If i follow my own advice, my recce on Saturday should be a doddle

wonder how he has got/is getting on