Thread: Average mileage

Talking Average mileage

Just a quick question folks. What are peoples weekly average off road mileage when training for MM's. Or in fact what are peoples average weekly off road miles?

Re: Average mileage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Just a quick question folks. What are peoples weekly average off road mileage when training for MM's. Or in fact what are peoples average weekly off road miles?
    Hi Monkey

I've never been a high mileage runner but been doing MM's for over 20 years.
    I usually run on the roads 3 times week (6 - 8 miles each)but try to get a long day in the hills at least once a fortnight, if i'm busy this is only for a couple of hours but much better if you can get 4 or 5 hours. Long days with a daysack are good and if you can do a bit of navigating on the way even better.

Orienteering events are good but usually a little short.

We always try to get a few club members away for a weekend or two for a practise run, where we carry everything and set each other courses although we normally have the camps very close to a pub!!
    Hope this is of some help
    NB

My mileage tends to be between 50 and 60 a week regardless of mountain marathons or not. I may have edged over that in recent weeks. I haven't really been keeping an accurate track of actual milage.

A fair bit of that is on roads as I often run to work and back which bumps my milage up a lot more than it actually feels like. 2 x 4 mile runs a day are a lot easier than an 8 miler every day.

Probably about 60/40 or 70/30 split off road to on road so I would say 40 miles off road. At least half of that being trail.

Been focusing on having two longish runs back to back this time. Done a few 20 milers back to back with rucksack on. Or 2 long runs in 3 days depending on how I am feeling.

i do about 30- 40 miles a week of which 10 are on the hills at moment, but swapping round the other way in the summer. oh its still summer isnt it!

i'm doing around 30 miles a week on road at present but will be upping that again soon and on saturdays i will soon be starting to do 12-13 milers. However, i go to yorkshire once every two weeks for a day on saturdays where i would be doing 12-14mile fell, but again, extending that soon to about 20 but focusing more on fine nav exercises.

I'm only just getting back to proper mileage levels but try and do all my running off road in the hills, obviously headtorcherised in winter months. I'm only doing 20 to 25 at the weekends and 10 or so in the week at the minute but hope to up it to above 40 pw soonish. Not planning on doing any mountain marathons especially but don't consider my off road running to be training anyway, other than for getting fitter so that I can do more off road hill running .

That said I will be running on the roads tonight which definitely will fall under the heading of dreary training....

been averaging 30 miles for most of the last 6 months including racing most weeks,done about 30 races so far this year,all of it off road,going to try and keep it up over winter,best dig the head torch out soon

Super Moderator

Like Stolly I'm coming back from injury. I've never done a MM but my normal running includes a mix of short fell races, LDWA events and training on typical South Pennines / Dales terrain; probably averaging out at 30-40miles a week. I don't do any road running usually but very occasionally do the odd 3 or 4miler when I'm abroad with work.

Banned

25ish mainly off road although some my be trail and XC.

I need to do a little speed work of more short races to increase my pace.