Thread: Dehydration mid race

Dehydration mid race

Been fell running for about 3 years now, on and off (as much as a geographically challenged lowlander can afford). Have found that any race beyond about 1.30hr in length results in dehydration that must surely result in a drop in performance. I take a small bottle in my bum bag but get through it fairly quickly and then avoid refilling it to prevent lost time. Anyone else experience this? I have never seen what the top fell runners do as i am always in the race, but would be interested to know how they cope.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Re: Dehydration mid race

Plastic bag and stream water=no liquid weight to carry and minimul time stopping for a slurp, perhaps some added PSP powder. Hydration in the days leading up to the event and avoidance of diuretics are also important.
    There was a phase in the 70's in cycling when 500ml for a 6 hour road stage was considered plenty - hard man attitude and the trend of the day. Nowadays after stages many of the guys are placed on a drip to replace the minerals and salts that could never be replaced orally in time for the next day's stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    ...I have never seen what the top fell runners do as i am always in the race, but would be interested to know how they cope.
    They just cope...that's why they're at the top. Just accept that a bit more liquid down thi gullet won't mek a reet lot o' difference.

I resisted getting a hydration pack for a long time. I soon realised after a couple of races just how valuable it is (for races over 2 hours at least).

20 quid from decathlon, can easily carry a litre without feeling any extra weight (its well distributed), I haven't tried 2 litres yet but I haven't needed it either.

I'll never use bouncy and heavy bumbags again.

Placcy bag and a stream (copyright M Stone) worked for me for years but now that I is a lot slower, a hydration pack is a welcome luxury. Certainly a lot better than the old waist mounted bottle carriers...nasty, bouncy things. Now, I never get thirsty on a race....but I don't go any faster!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Not always about quantity, but quality.

There is a separate thread in the General Issues about Nuun tablets. Easy to carry. Could be used with a placcy bag or a 500 ml bottle.

Adventure racers initially and now many other runners find these things a real help before, during and after races.

Ran the Trail des Aiguilles Rouges last weekend, 58 kms with 4000 metres of ascent and used these tabs, bottle and a separate hydration pack. No dehydration issues and no cramp.

Morgan

I carry a 500ml cycling bottle with a wide opening. The wide opening allows for quicker filling and makes it easier to get powders in.

Research in ultra events suggests that you need about 500ml per hour to maintain performance over several hours, more in hotter conditions. On more intense events it becomes physically impossible to absorb this much fluid.

Smile Re: Dehydration mid race

Nuuns mate their the way forward , i suffered cramps during long races and bad dyhedration headaches after but these sorted me out . Would recommend you try them .

i'll vow for the nuun tabs two of em per litre, brill, i only tend to have a litre (if that) of water in my hydro pack in my bum bag for shortish runs.