Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Vasque Ultra Series

Re: Vasque Ultra Series

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    More good eek-usage Merry! 60miles doesn't bother me as much as the umpteen thousand feet of ascent and descent!

Central heating on here, i'm hot and...............................bothered.
    Hills and Guinness!

Wink Re: Vasque Ultra Series

Alphin, Wuthering Hike is organised by Brett. Entries open few weeks before. Pretty informal Nice race and plenty of forumites out
    Eyup DT,

You claim to be working?
    Suspect you are in some Hotel bar, tapping away at your Blueberry Storm whilst downing a nice cold beer?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    the climb up to Stoodley is tough but nowhere near as soul destroying as the descent in to Hebden and the climb up to Heptonstall

IDP,

I'm with you on that! First time I did the Hobble I ran down into Hebden and couldn't understand why everyone else appeared to be walking!

Soon found out when I reached those bloody steps upto the Heptonstall road!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Steampig View Post
    Eyup DT,

You claim to be working?
    Suspect you are in some Hotel bar, tapping away at your Blueberry Storm whilst downing a nice cold beer?
    Now then Steampig! What on earth's a Blueberry Storm? Is it one of them fancy cocktails they drink in the wine bars in Howarth?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Now then Steampig! What on earth's a Blueberry Storm? Is it one of them fancy cocktails they drink in the wine bars in Howarth?
    I allus thowt thi wor an electronic version of attaching a note t'pigins leg!

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    I've not done either but I can't see Highland Fling being much different in difficulty to the Long Mynd which is in as a long again this year. I'm presuming 50 miles is point at which something becomes long for this series.
    I would have thought that Long Mynd would be harder than the Highland Fling as Long Mynd has a lot more navigation involved and it has a mixture of short sharp hills and some quite long flatter (i.e. faster) sections. Great race: real quality. I haven't done the Highland Fling and have done Long Mynd three times, so some of this paragraph is supposition.

I think in previous years a (seemingly arbitrary) distance of 43 miles classified a race as "long", but I guess that is academic given this year's set of races.

My plans are for Wye Ultra, Wuthering Hike, Calderdale Hike, Lakes 100, Pumlumon and Long Mynd. I'll see if anything else comes up. One of the things about this being a series is that it does seem to force you to get out and do the races. E.g. if I don't have a good run at Calderdale then that'll be my medium points scuppered which will mean I'll need to get out again for some proper medium points. etc. etc.

Great to see the Lakes 100 in the series this year. It would be great if that event really took off: it deserves to.
    Last edited by Zlod; 26-11-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: unclear that some of first para referred to LMH

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zlod View Post

Great to see the Lakes 100 in the series this year. It would be great if that event really took off: it deserves to.
    Well despite my mis-givings about the event this year i have entered the 100 for next year, the fact that it it is to be part of the vasque seriries, and that i have covered most of the course and enjoyed it, coupled with it it i only being £65 to enter up until 31st Dec (wait for the flack about only) i figured it should make for a cracking day out in the Lakes covering ground less frequented by me (and many others) when running on the fells with the bonus of it being a race.

Could make Dark and White Peak pretty challenging the following weekend though
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I was talking about when it opens for entries. The race itself is always the first weekend in May.
    Correction - meant 2nd weekend. 9th May 2009.