Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tour of Tours

Re: Tour of Tours

Sounds sensible, mileage similar too and more akin to a running week than a driving week. Perhaps a tour of Scotland the year after?

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Day 1: Chevy Chase 20 miles-4,000 feet (Cheviots)
    Day 2: Wuthering Hike /Haworth Hobble 33 miles-4,400 feet (Calderdale)
    Day 3: 3 Peaks 24 miles-4,500 feet
    Day 4: Old Counties Tops 37 miles-10,000 feet
    Day 5: Edale Skyline 21 miles-4,500 feet
    Day 6: Stretton Skyline 18 miles-4,450 feet
    Hmmm, 153 miles and 31,850 ft ascent in six days with the optional extra of 13 miles and 1,500 ft on day 7. The climb sounds managable, but the distance is something else! What would I need to do to train for that?

The Tan-Cat is sounding a very attractive alternative!

Think the English TOT seems like a better idea too.

The original idea was to tour the hills and experience the best of fellrunning, I think the long drives between runs would detract from this.

Problem is - how do we decide what makes up the best of fellrunning?
    I don't think there's many runs in the hills that I've done that haven't been great days in the hills.
    Perhaps invite everyone to submit their favourites and set up a vote to select the top 5/6?

(Still like the idea of running over the Ben to Clachaig though! )

Quote Originally Posted by Highy View Post
    Think the English TOT seems like a better idea too.

The original idea was to tour the hills and experience the best of fellrunning, I think the long drives between runs would detract from this.

Problem is - how do we decide what makes up the best of fellrunning?
    I don't think there's many runs in the hills that I've done that haven't been great days in the hills.
    Perhaps invite everyone to submit their favourites and set up a vote to select the top 5/6?

(Still like the idea of running over the Ben to Clachaig though! )
    I sort of tried to keep that in mind with the suggestion. I reckoned if it was just the "best of fellrunning" then you'd do the Lakeland Classics on consecutive days and that'd be it, so my aim was to have a stop in each of the classic upland/fell running regions...Cheviots, Calderdale, North Yorks, Lakeland, Peaks, Shropshire/Welsh border. So we could follow your suggestion and collect everyone's favourite routes but I still think we neeed to stick to the principle of a route in (more or less) each of the areas above rather than just favourites regardless of location.

I still think we neeed to stick to the principle of a route in (more or less) each of the areas above rather than just favourites regardless of location.
    I agree - the idea is a tour, not a weeks running in the lakes, didn't really explain the vote thing very well.

What I should have suggested was for everyone to submit their favourite route in each area - then vote!

Fellhound

For a while now, I've had a loose plan to tackle the Lakes Classics in a week (more recently, I think Full Moon Addict fancied the idea of doing them on 6 consecutive winter NIGHTS!) but this would not be much of a "Tour".

Choosing a favourite from each area would be hard though.

Splinter's idea sounds OK at about 25 miles and 5400ft per day (average)

You wouldn't even need to have everyone in a mini-bus. You could run it as a series, with each run as an individual event. Obviously only those completing the whole series would count as 'finishers'.

Me? I'd use my campervan. 'Home is where you park it'