Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hebden

The Hebden

This event goes from Mytholmroyd and covers 22 miles and over 4000ft.
    It's open to walkers and runners. Could fit in with New Year resolutions!
    See:
    http://www.alangreenwood.biz/hvh/index.html

George

Re: The Hebden, 5th January

Did this one last year. Quite nice. Tentatively pencilled in for next year (altho' it's a bit far off yet!)

Yes I did it but I think it is really a walkers route - you have to keep your eyes glued to the route description to avoid missing a turn. Some nice bits but not very satisfying as a run - there is not much chance to get going.

Any 22 miler is going to be a walkers event as far as I'm concerned. Stopping to read route directions is fantastic excuse, and I really enjoyed The Black Brook on this basis. Sounds perfect!

Fancy this myself. Great area. Have it pencilled in. And yes I agree, the route instructions are a great excuse to take it easy. I've loved all the LDWA events I've done
    I think I'll walk this bit....

another excuse for doing it is some good grub at certain checkpoints and finish.
    my nose runs faster than my feet.
    www.ukfellponies.org.uk

Graeme

I've pencilled it in for nexst January, great incentive to get the training going at the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Any 22 miler is going to be a walkers event as far as I'm concerned. Stopping to read route directions is fantastic excuse, and I really enjoyed The Black Brook on this basis. Sounds perfect!
    I'll be doing it Tussockface - infact i started to recci the last bit about 4 weeks ago and got knocked down by a cow!! Got my foot stuck in some deep mud and the cow (with me holding on to it's ears) pushed me over twisting my ankle badly. I've only just started running again now but hope to be doing the Burley Bridge Hike next week but at a cautiious (on cow alert!) and slow (cos of the pain) pace
    Are you still doing it?

Yes, I'm still on course to do Burley Bridge, having survived the Shepherd's Skyline today with both ankles intact, which was an unexpected bonus.
    You might even spot me in my nice shiny new Fell Ponies vest if it arrives in time ....
    Glad to hear you're doing the Hebden, and taking it seriously enough to recce.
    As you know from our joint jogging of "The Road to Ell', I know the area reasonably well so I probably won't bother to suss out the route in advance.
    But where was this killer cow? I've been wary of cattle since several hundred of the buggers conspired to play mind games with me one evening in a field near Addingham. One cow's mind I can normally beat, but when you get enough of them working together a bovine supercomputer networking thing begins to take over and it can get quite scary.

Talking Re: The Hebden, 5th January

Quote Originally Posted by chris brown View Post
    Got my foot stuck in some deep mud and the cow (with me holding on to it's ears) pushed me over twisting my ankle badly.
    BTW, I'm not altogether surprised the cow was somewhat peeved if you were holding onto its ears. If you were ever to hold mine, I think I might be tempted to push you over too.