Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cumbrian Traverse

Two of us completed this as a self-sufficient run/walk yesterday in 11 hours 32 min. Basically it is a south to north high-level traverse across 21 peaks from Broughton Mills to Keswick Moot Hall which featured in Fellrunner in 2005(full details at www.gofar.org.uk) At about 33 miles and 12,000 feet it is a tough day out, but an excellent route.

Sub-12 hours is the obvious target and this should be fairly comfortable in normal!! summer conditions. Strong cold winds, boggy ground, greasy rocks and mist over the higher tops made it a little more challenging yesterday. The only drawback is the linear route makes it a bind for transport unless you can arrange a lift or prefer support (at 3 shires and Honister).

Anyway all credit to Dick and Sue Courchee for devising a great route; it's well worth putting on your "to do" list.

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Well done - that looks like an excellent day out. I'll certainly put it on my 'to-do' list. (Before or after next year's Jos Naylor? Not sure)

nice one tony, thats quite a yomp that!

Well done MM.

A cracking route that, and one to bear in mind for the future.

Morgan

Nice one!

I'd looked at this on the Gofar site and thought it looked an interesting route taking in a lot of the better parts of the central Lakes. Also has the benefit of taking in the Coniston Fells which most Lakes challenges don't.

Interested to read this one as myself and Bobert were due to do it last Saturday. In the end though one of us () went shopping with his missus instead . Just as well tbh as saturday was a truly awful day weather wise.

Am still keen to do the Traverse at some point, perhaps next year though as we lose the light so quickly now.

On Sunday what we did instead was also a great route some of you may want to try.

Starting in Keswick head South along the ridge/fells to the East side of Derwentwater, namely Bleaberry,High Seat, High Tove, Ullscarf, High Raise.
    Then West to cross Stake Pass, Esk Hause and Sty Head. Up Great Gable and North over Green Gable, Brandreth and Grey Knotts. Down to Honister Pass (refreshments/bus if reqiured).
    We then climbed part way up to Dale Head before bearing across to High Spy, Maiden Moor and Catbells. We had parked a second vehicle at Catbells bottom (25.8miles to this point) but its probably around another 3 mlles back to Keswick (tarmac can be mostly avoided).

We were blessed with possibly the best weather of the year, bright sun, nil clouds, cool temperature. Given poorer weather though there are various opt outs at Stake Pass, Sty Head, Honister etc.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Sounds like the Derwent Watershed. The FRCC site used to have a list of long distance walks in the Lakes but can't find it since they reorganised their site - the new long distance walks page has hardly anything.

That ridge to the east of Derwentwater is a bit boggy isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Sounds like the Derwent Watershed. The FRCC site used to have a list of long distance walks in the Lakes but can't find it since they reorganised their site - the new long distance walks page has hardly anything.

That ridge to the east of Derwentwater is a bit boggy isn't it?
    more than a bit! I've done it twice and wouldn't be in a hurry to go back again. its high tove that's the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    more than a bit! I've done it twice and wouldn't be in a hurry to go back again. its high tove that's the worst.
    ...indeed -even in the middle of the 'summer'...the best time for a run up over Walla Crag-Bleaberry-High Seat-High Tove and Armboth is in the middle of a hard cold snap and you can skate across the ice...I like skipping thru the boggy stuff tho, much more fun

-if you loop back via Raven Crag you can pick up six very seldom visited wainwrights in a couple of hours or three too.

Bobert

[QUOTE=bestathlete;154940]Interested to read this one as myself and Bobert were due to do it last Saturday. In the end though one of us () went shopping with his missus instead . Just as well tbh as saturday was a truly awful day weather wise.
    QUOTE]

The things we have to do, eh! Shopping! In Kendal. In the rain! I couldn't even stand outside the shops to wait. Was wetter than the bogs on High Tove