Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
    Hi there.

Hope to do the Cumbrian Traverse this weekend. Know the area pretty well from Bow fell, but would ideally like a gpx file as back up. I read here that you had one.
    If you still have it could you send it to me?
    Thank you
    Here's mines and there's one on page 14 as well.

_|_
    ./\.

Completed this on Good Friday in 11:15 going S-N. Pretty hot and water sources higher up pretty dry. Had to detour to Calf Cove on the way up Great End for water as was desperate by then! Also added White Pike (near White Maiden) and also Little Stickle near the start as I didn’t look at the map properly!

Enjoyed it loads. I got 33M and 12,100’ all told.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Completed this on Good Friday in 11:15 going S-N. Pretty hot and water sources higher up pretty dry. Had to detour to Calf Cove on the way up Great End for water as was desperate by then! Also added White Pike (near White Maiden) and also Little Stickle near the start as I didn’t look at the map properly!

Enjoyed it loads. I got 33M and 12,100’ all told.
    I reckon Calf cove is just as good a way up. There is a trod on a dead reckon straight from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I reckon Calf cove is just as good a way up. There is a trod on a dead reckon straight from there.
    Yes I found that and was surprised and found it to be easy and pleasant. The water was such a godsend

Well done Mark. Nothing wrong with a bit of route deviation, I bagged Hell Gill Pike and a couple of other stray Birketts enroute when I did the CT last year.

Send me details and I'll add you to the register. [email protected]

Have done so. Tremendous route and enjoyed the bus and train ride back to the start the next day, plus the jog from Foxfield

Just a quick update on the CT thus far in 2020: The C-19 pandemic has obviously had a bit of an affect on numbers, so far we have 3 finishers, the most recent being Kirsty Hewitson (DPFR) in a time of 10:08. That takes the total completers to 141.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I've been a bit remiss in posting updates regarding the Cumbrian Traverse over the past couple of years, so thought I'd catch up a bit:

There were a total of eight registered completions in 2020, followed by no less than thirty (30) registered completions in 2021, a figure that surely must be a consequence of the CV-19 pandemic. Some very fast ladies times among those, Lou Osborn (Ambleside) comfortably took the ladies record in July with 08:14, only for Jean Brown (Cl-le-M) to come along in August and lop a further six minutes off with 08:08.

2022 by comparison was a bit of a dead year for the Cumbrian Traverse, just five registered completions, I can't explain why this figure was so poor but I suppose it comes down to a general easing of restrictions and people looking elsewhere.

2023 has got off to a decent start with Harry Shuell (Ambleside) having a decent Winter attempt, finishing in 09:47.

Apart from this, things rumble on with the CT. It's been featured in a couple of guidebooks and magazines, but I think the logistics of it are still the most inhibiting factor. Some sad news to report is that Dick Courchee passed away last October, as many of you will know he was the instigator and recorder of the Cumbrian Traverse and I do hope that as a community we can keep his brainchild going.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hi Martyn, a friend and I had a very enjoyable walk of the CT back in June. We did it overnight starting about 7pm and got to Keswick for about 8am. Despite being the Friday closest to the summer solstice it was annoyingly cloudy and bloody freezing in a strong wind. We had the unexpected bonus of some charity thing with people letting off flares from lots of tops at 3am. Gave us something to watch while we huddled behind a boulder for a brew on Esk Pike. And a fortuitous bit of timing meant a bus and train back from Keswick to Lancaster took barely more than hour. It's a cracking route and I hope to have a proper go at running it this summer (which I'll register).
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Hi Martyn, a friend and I had a very enjoyable walk of the CT back in June. We did it overnight starting about 7pm and got to Keswick for about 8am. Despite being the Friday closest to the summer solstice it was annoyingly cloudy and bloody freezing in a strong wind. We had the unexpected bonus of some charity thing with people letting off flares from lots of tops at 3am. Gave us something to watch while we huddled behind a boulder for a brew on Esk Pike. And a fortuitous bit of timing meant a bus and train back from Keswick to Lancaster took barely more than hour. It's a cracking route and I hope to have a proper go at running it this summer (which I'll register).
    Hi Geoff,You're right, it's a cracking route and deserves to be more popular than it is. I'll look forward to hearing about your summer attempt!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners