Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Tony

The only other thing to say about the S Labs is that they are built as a racing shoe, so have less toe protection than other Salomon models. As most of my toe nails are black and the toes well acclimatised to downhill pounding, I don't find this a problem; and maybe you won't either!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

what / where's the line from great end to great gable do you follow main path round to corridor route or is there a more direct route? if so whats it like and is it alot quicker etc?
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    what / where's the line from great end to great gable do you follow main path round to corridor route or is there a more direct route? if so whats it like and is it alot quicker etc?
    cheers.
    There's a direct route from Great End to Sty Head, but I wouldn't try to find it for the first time in poor visibility. It's steep ground in the upper section & there are serious cliffs. The route is described in ascent in Wainwright's "Southern Fells", but that doesn't tell you enough about how to find it in descent.

The simplest way to find it is to start from the NW cairn (the official top of Great End is the SE cairn). Head very slightly east of north over the boulders & you'll very quickly come to a shallow gully: look out for cairns. Go down the gully for a short way to just above where it starts to narrow, steepen & look serious. There's a cairn here that marks the point at which you traverse left for a few metres. The route is now reasonably clear if you are good at recognising faint paths in rocky terrain, although it descends quite steeply it's OK, & there's the occasional cairn.

This takes you down to the head of Skew Gill, obvious on your left at the bottom of the steep rocky section. Go straight on past this, & look out for a faint path that continues down the shoulder ahead. When you get to a bit of a gully don't get tempted into it: the path is to your left, again on the shoulder, with cairns. Eventually you get to a point where you can see the stream from Sprinkling Tarn & its path not far below on the right, when it's obviously easy to descend to join the path, just below where it crosses the stream. Follow this down to Sty Head.

And yes, it's quicker. I used it on the Cumbrian Traverse & Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge last year.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 24-04-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

thats great thanks for that, it sounds like it requires a recce one fine day. would it be easier to route find on the climb than deccent then?

Attachment 6035Just to supplement Splatcher's description here is a Google Earth image. The line is approximate. The top part is rough but you can see some sort of path on the ground. The 'Band' is mainly grassy and quick. Come off the Band to join the main path as shown.
    It is probably easier to pick the route from the top. Yiannis

thanks again Yiannis

I had the great pleasure of supporting the Glossop ladies on their successful attempt at the 'Cumbrian Traverse', blessed with fine weather albeit very cold
    in the morning and a bit of a headwind. Jude Stansfield, Alison Holt (Wormstone), Lindsay Palmer and Adele Metcalfe looked strong all the way through and arrived at the Moot Hall, Keswick in a time of 11 hours 41 minutes (ahead of their schedule).

I will leave the gals to fill in the details, and tell everyone about the very famous guest supporter they had on the way. I'm sure photos will be put up soon as well.

Once again, fantastic effort from what is shaping up to be a great ladies team for this special 30th year of Glossopdale Harriers. Watch this space.

Rod
    :thumbup:
    'Take the Long Way Home'

Very well done ladies! We were at the Moot Hall waiting for Barbara to finish her BG just as you arrived. Hope the little dog is ok.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Did Babs make it ? Saw her early on James Thurlow's tracker Friday night.

In response to this thread, had a great run on the Cumbrian Traverse yesterday. Started in Keswick and had Hail and Snow before Honister. Sunshine from about half way and finished in lovely weather. It's a cracking route, one of the best I have done in Lakeland, just a shame I was too early for one of the Blacksmith's Arms fantastic Burgers !!

Yes she sure did.

She did it in an incredible 20:41!!
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners