Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runners in the South East?

Question Runners in the South East?

I am moving to London in a few weeks - not prime hill running country granted, but am not yet ready to come to terms with reality just yet...

I was wondering if there is any kind of network of London-based fell runners out there, or just a group of friends, who travel up occasionally to hill races? If so, I would very much like to get involved!

Thanks.

Re: Runners in the South East?

Hi Amy,

where are ypu moving from - and why?

Amy Springfield Striders have an active fell section, they are a little out of London but would be probably your best, particularly if you're moving to the Essex side of London.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Amy, Springfield Striders are based in Chelmsford. At least every other weekend there is someone from the club heading north for races. Have a look at the fell section on our website springfieldstriders.org.uk.
    Planned for the next couple of months are the Roaches, Dark & White MMMs & the Calderdale Way relay.

If you are the other side of London then Tring have a strong representation on the fells & also Cambridge Harriers who are based on the SE London/Kent border.

plenty of 'exiles' down here plus numerous natives who are into fell running. as advised Tring and Springfield have fell runners but what I did was join my local x/c-road club and maintain my membership of Dark Peak

Whereabouts in London are you moving to?

If you are in NW London then Tring might be an option. Train from Euston takes about 50mins, most Tring trains stop at Harrow & Wealdstone if that's any use. 7.30 on Wednesdays for club runs (running club is a mile from the station, but off the same road). Whatever your pace you should find a group to run with off road - head torches in winter. There are usually people going to the English champs races, Lakeland Classics, Mountain Marathons, a few more "local" races like Edale Skyline etc. We enter the FRA relays and Calderdale relay, have started going to the Ian Hodgson relay. We run in the Chiltern Cross Country League.

Within London, there is Thames Hare and Hounds, based at Wimbledon, who do off road running. I have seen TH&H vests at the odd fell race. You could do worse than try the orienteering clubs. London Orienteering Klubb (LOK) is based around Hampstead. South London Orienteers (SLOW) are based around Kingston Upon Thames / Richmond area - similar to TH&H. SLOW have some keen runners, they organise the Box Hill fell race, Surrey Hills race, and their so-called Trail Challenge races.

Hope this helps!

Stevie, did you run at Watford on Saturday? a couple of lads from your club were just in front of me, one of whom's first name begins with 'S'

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Stevie, did you run at Watford on Saturday? a couple of lads from your club were just in front of me, one of whom's first name begins with 'S'
    No I didn't, but it was almost a Tring dream team at Watford on Sat, I wish I had been there. Looking at the results it was most likely Simon and Rick in front of you. I'll be at all the other Chiltern League XCs, probably a bit further up the field than Simon and Rick were (not always the case, Simon is getting over his sub 20hr BG at the moment and Rick is off form as well, not sure why).

aye its a strong field in those races both your 2 runners you mentioned are good (sub 20hrs for BG takes some doing) and the guy from our club who beat me by 2 seconds but finished 150th is a 2.50 marathon runner