Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramsey or Paddy

Fellhound

Re: Ramsey or Paddy

Not having done any of the three I am perhaps not qualified to comment, but I do have a long experience of “doing stuff in the hills” and it seems futile to me to try to separate the purely physical effort from any of these things. These are mountain challenges and involve a whole range of difficulties, obstacles and factors, mental, physical, and logistical (perhaps in that order!). Overall, the Ramsay simply MUST be the hardest challenge.

Master

My apolgies to referring to it as The Ramsey Round as opposed to Ramsay. I am sure a circuit of a Cambridgeshire village is not as tough as the Paddy B, although swimming some of those fenland drains might be a bit demanding!!

Re: Ramsay or Paddy

Simon,

An interesting question which I have been asked a lot following my 3 successes this year.

I would say that the Bob Graham is the easiest but I found even it a challenge as I had never been on the go for 24 hours before. I optimised my gear and approach prior to the other two and had good weather at the start of the Paddy and at the end of the Ramsay. This gives me the view that the Paddy is the hardest. (My times of 23:20 and 22:37 would suggest this also)

I love the Munros and so was mentally prepared for the remoteness, rough pathless ground and big climbs. If this is not your cup of tea then I would say that the Ramsay will be harder as I do not feel that the rough or diffciult sections of the Paddy as as continuously high or remote.

Good luck, if your body is fit and your head is up for it I feel that either is well within reach of someone who has good mountain knowledge and completed the Bob Graham without being too completely knackered at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by jonchapman View Post
    Simon,

An interesting question which I have been asked a lot following my 3 successes this year.

I would say that the Bob Graham is the easiest but I found even it a challenge as I had never been on the go for 24 hours before. I optimised my gear and approach prior to the other two and had good weather at the start of the Paddy and at the end of the Ramsay. This gives me the view that the Paddy is the hardest. (My times of 23:20 and 22:37 would suggest this also)

I love the Munros and so was mentally prepared for the remoteness, rough pathless ground and big climbs. If this is not your cup of tea then I would say that the Ramsay will be harder as I do not feel that the rough or diffciult sections of the Paddy as as continuously high or remote.

Good luck, if your body is fit and your head is up for it I feel that either is well within reach of someone who has good mountain knowledge and completed the Bob Graham without being too completely knackered at the end!
    About time too Jon! I wondered when you were going to contribute to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jonchapman View Post
    Simon,
    someone who has good mountain knowledge and completed the Bob Graham without being too completely knackered at the end!
    B*****
    Bill

reckon PB is hardest, then Ramsay then BG. in proper winter ramsay is much harder.