Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell shoes instead of....

Fell shoes instead of....

....walking boots.

I was thinking, would getting a pair of say inov's be a sensible idea compared to buying some walking boots.
    I was in a running shop yesturday and looking at them and noticed how light weight they are compared to a regular walking boot.
    My dad suffers from quite sore feet after walking a long way in walking boots....whether on the flat or on the fells so i am thinking for him really as well as a general quiery.
    Do fell shoes have much give as walking boots generally are (whats the opposite to 'give' haha)......whats ur thoughts

Ta.

Re: Fell shoes instead of....

well, with fell shoes they dont give ankle support so increased risk of twisting the old joints. they are lightweight, but due to lack of cusioning, you can feel every little stone that you step on which after a while can be a bit sore. The positive side is very little chance of slipping.

Walking boots are high up your ankle to give support on rough uneven ground. My Scarpa fabric boots are very light and have been well used for over ten years now ( could do with a re-sole!). Quality boots and socks make a huge difference, it's worth shelling out a bit of money for a bit of comfort.

Super Moderator

Al, I've seen loads of folk walking in Ino-v8 including at this year's LDWA Yoredale 100. The fell shoes (290 & 330) chew my heels to bits though when I walk in them. I've got 305s too and did an unscheduled Belgian beer fueled 4mile walk home from the pub last weekend in them and they were great, although wearing them gave me a rotten headache the next morning

When I did a fair bit of walking I mainly used fell shoes (think they were ETA's) and found them an ideal piece of footwear for the purpose. Did a weeks trek round the Annapurna Sanctuary in them too without issue. Boots offer more protection and will last longer and are more suited to attatch gaiters but your feet will still get wet with the best Gortex boot and gaiter given wet enough conditions (peat bogs leading up to the Cuillins). If you are going to be out a long time in cold conditions or are trecking through snow, then a good boot is the best option but otherwise fell shoes are great. Walkers tend to sneer at people walking in 'trainers' for some reason - in fact most walkers seem to dress as if expecting arctic conditions e,ven in summer in Howarth! and what the hell have they got in their 90 litre rucksac?

[QUOTE=Al Fowler;155330]....walking boots.

I was thinking, would getting a pair of say inov's be a sensible idea compared to buying some walking boots.
    I was in a running shop yesturday and looking at them and noticed how light weight they are compared to a regular walking boot.
    My dad suffers from quite sore feet after walking a long way in walking boots....whether on the flat or on the fells so i am thinking for him really as well as a general quiery.
    Do fell shoes have much give as walking boots generally are (whats the opposite to 'give' haha)......whats ur thoughts

I use my Montrail Highlanders once "the bounce has gone out of their bungy" for walking......Just depends on whether you feel more secure with ankle protection/support.....
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

Salomon do some really nice lightweight walking boots. My S.O. rates them well above her old Brasher Boots. Their sole systems really encourages you to 'roll' from heel to toe as you walk along.

what WD said!
    I've got a pair of Salomon Low Extend and they are FANTASTIC
    they have some sort of internal "chassis" and practically walk for you!
    they've got good grip too, and I feel fine breaking into the odd short jog in them

I don't buy this "ankle support" theory of high boots - if they stop your ankle moving about it will just throw more stress onto your knees - I think the only advantage of them is that they can cope with deeper boggy ground before your feet get wet

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    ....walking boots.

Ta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    well, with fell shoes they dont give ankle support so increased risk of twisting the old joints. they are lightweight, but due to lack of cusioning, you can feel every little stone that you step on which after a while can be a bit sore. The positive side is very little chance of slipping.
    it is true that walking boots have more ankle support than 'fell' shoes but then they need to as they are higher off the ground, Apart from big hills in winter I always wear Montrail Highlanders. When I put my big boots on now I feel very unstable and feel like I've had 6 pints.

I feel happier in trails shoes than in boots these days?

I've spent a fair few w/e's in Lakes Scotland and Wales this year and I've only wore Trail shoes even on the rough stuff.

I guess you pays your money...

i walked up snowdon this year on one of the few hot days in merrell open toe walking sandles ( i didnt break the law and wear socks ) they were fine and so much more comfy than my walking boots or trainers . still got some snobby looks of boot wearers dressed for arctic conditions thou.