Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Runners in the South East?

Re: Runners in the South East?

Many thanks to all for such a large response - it is heartening to see how many opportunities there are out there to escape the city! I am moving to Greenwich, which makes Tring and the Striders a fair commute but potentially a realistic option for weekend running... It seems that Serpentine are the most convenient running club for where I will be living but they seem to be mostly about the Triathlon and the roads...?

Am following up all recommendations - so if any one has any further suggestions/anything to add (apart from stay North!), I will look into them...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Amy; 13-10-2008 at 10:47 PM.

You could try Orion Harriers. They are based on the edge of Epping Forest, are mainly an off road club and host a fell race. They also have a few people who are into fell running a little and have joined some of our Springfield Striders jaunts to the fells.

Lola

Amy,

Tring is a bit of a way out but they are very friendly.
    I ran with Serpentine for a short while but I must confess that the club is huge and there is no real feeling of belonging unless you enter one of several cliques and that was'nt my thing.
    Should'nt be negative on a forum I know but it was not a positive experience for me and even the trg lacked real structure.

Amy, Greenwich is nice for running a couple of decent size hills and lots of green space (well for London anyway!!). I used to work in the Docklands and a group of us used to run through the tunnel under the Thames and do some hill training in the park up to the observatory.

I think Serpentine do some hill sessions in Greenwich on a Saturday morning. I can understand what Lola saya about them as they are massive and members come from all over the place so they won't have the same social side that most clubs do as they don't benefit from drawing their members from a fairly close area.

By the way any of you South East based runners I am organising the Frieth Hilly 10k this Sunday 10am in Frieth between Marlow and Henley. Obviously not a fell race but in the southern Chiltern Hills and there is entry on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Stevie, did you run at Watford on Saturday? a couple of lads from your club were just in front of me, one of whom's first name begins with 'S'
    Hey Blade!

Are you doing the rest of the series?

You may remember showing me around the first half of Edale Skyling route a couple of years ago with your mate Andy and his dog?

It would be nice to see you again.

MH

alright, its Sam isn't it? have you changed your user name I seem to remember it being Southern something? yes I'll be doing most of the series, can't make the next one but hope to do the rest, I'll look out for you.

funny you should mention Andy as I was out running with him on Kinder yesterday after dropping my mum back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    alright, its Sam isn't it?

Er yeah, thanks for blowing my cover!

Probably see you at Slough then - not quite as nice as Cassiobury Park - or Kinder for that matter...

MH, I'm so glad it wasn't me that blew your cover as a southern based fell runner, I have come close several times!

Bladerunner, good luck with the hilly 10k. Most of us at Tring will be off to the FRA relays this weekend so won't be there, but the race sounds interesting.

Amy, sorry to hijack your thread with all this. Hope you manage to find people to run with when you move to London.

have a good one at the relays, hopefully it won't get cancelled like the Ian Hodgson did!!

see you at Slough for 3 laps of a flat field!!! shame the Oxford race isn't in it this year, at least that had a couple of hills through the woods

Lola - I get that impression from the Serp website. Any club that size must have issues with that.

I will have a look at Orion, and commuting to Tring. Kent AC seem to have a big xc section too. Many thanks to all for the help!