Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Graham 2007

I'd p.m. hobbit bother he's got all the details, all I know is he's setting off on midnight on the 26th May going clockwise and should be in Wasdale by 13:00 on the 27th.
    There is another person attempting at the same time with there own pacers and they are going help each other until one cracks

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    How! How man! Ye lot! Hobbins, Britta, Baggins! What gives?

I'm a fully paid up member of aforementioned Lake District club for 2006.

Can someone p.m. who's doing what and when. I'd like to trot around handing out jelly babies and flappy jackie to BG enthusiasts, perhaps reciting them with some encouraging poetry...

(P.S. Is one of these a psyeudonym for Dux de Lux or Fleetwood Mac, don't know if they rejoined after the website nuclear fallout...)

Talking

hi there noor! are you back in the lakes?

I think you're right B - said hobbit botherer is an ambleside owl of Ulverston abode. will be seeing him tonight on an owl night flight so can check.

I'll be making a film of the Bg so you can get in on the action.

I'll re-join the night troops next week - can barely walk after my first attempt at circuit training, so will just quickly (or slowly ) hobble over Louhgrigg tonite...

Pretty sure hobbit botherer mentioned NOTHING about film crews when he asked for pacers - never mind, it'll be dark when i'm helping out
    Last edited by Britta; 09-01-2007 at 04:55 PM. Reason: ****** spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    hi there noor! are you back in the lakes?

I think you're right B - said hobbit botherer is an ambleside owl of Ulverston abode. will be seeing him tonight on an owl night flight so can check.

I'll be making a film of the BG so you can get in on the action.
    Not quite in lakes, just over Pennines at the moment.

Will be back for some of these legendary night-runs shortly....

Me in a film? Awesome, sign me up!

Re: Bob Graham 2007

just me and hobbit botherer last night on blencathra. Chatted about Bg as we scrambled up. I think I dissuaded him from a 12 midnight start so more likely to be around 7pm on the sat. we missed most of the rain and it wasn't too bad. quite ethereal in the mist and dark.

hope you recover to full fitness soon britta. may be see you for the next night flight of the owls.

Thanks for that, was looking forward to a nice lie in on sunday, might have to camp at wasdale now which comes with its own risks (wasdale head inn)

Bill

just me and hobbit botherer last night on blencathra. Chatted about Bg as we scrambled up. I think I dissuaded him from a 12 midnight start so more likely to be around 7pm on the sat.

Had a mare of a training weekend for my June 07 attempt . Decided to get up at 5am and drive from Wrexham to Dunmail Raise with a view to running leg 3 sat and running back to my car via the fells on sunday (or going walking on sunday with friends and getting a lift back).

Got to DR and started out up Steel Fell in what can only be described as appalling conditions - driving rain, gusts that knocked me over several times and 10 yard visability. I told myself it might be like this on the day so stop whinging and get moving. I got to High Raise via Sergeant Man, Calf Crag and Steel Fell in 23 hour schedule time but the sleet and hail then arrived and the wind picked up still further. 'Bugger this' i thought and headed off back to Grasmere via Easedale Tarn in the murk and was off the hill having a cup of tea by 12. Weather didn't improve so i couldn't get back out.

Drove round to Wasdale in the pm and spent a similarly grim, but maybe not quite as grim Sunday on Kirk Fell recceing that section before getting off for the long drive home. I'm told it was OK in North Wales and i could have therefore got some better running done in Snowdonia.

Plus points - I got out, recced that stretch to High Raise in really bad weather and did not get lost on any of it, still got a 2 and a half hour run in, checked out Kirk Fell. Got off the hill safe and well.

Bad points - Feel like i wussed out and should have at least pushed on to Wasdale, without taking in the top (i.e. over Rosset Pike and Esk Hause). Missed out on a good long run, which i need to do as training.

Anyone else have tales of woe from this crap weekend?

ST
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 15-01-2007 at 10:02 AM.

sat was very bad ST. I very much doubt whether you would get weather like that on your summer attempt and if you do, I would defer it. We went to rheged on sat but I ventured out on sunday. Although dry and not bad lower down, once I hit the summit ridge on Skiddaw, it was like the Cairngorm plateau. The wind funnelled down Borrowdale and hit the plateau very hard so that it was difficult to make any sort of progress. At one point I tried going down to the side and couldn't make any headway against a wall of wind. the wind ripped open the zip on my paclite which was done up to the top. it was a three hat day there. also couldn't see properly in the worst of the wind as it was so strong that it created an affect like a mirage. once off the summit ridge it was okay, but it was pretty wild for a time. all in all its been pretty rubbish here for the last 3 weeks. I've been out almost every day, but its been a struggle at times. Last weekend wasn't a lot better. Here's hoping for calmer times.

Went for a "run" up Coniston old man on Friday night, was supposed to be meeting the bats but due to a misunderstanding on my part, was parked on my own at walna scar track with the wind violently shaking the car about, after waiting for 15 mins thought I may as well set off on my own, I'd never been up from this side before so it just added to the fun.
    Going through the narrow section just before goats water I was on all fours at times, the force of the wind was incredible just moving forward was difficult no chance of running, I got to goats hause where the wind was not quite so strong and looked back to see a line of headtorches approaching the tarn, I'd found the bats!
    Went up Brim fell first to put a bit of time in then I waited for them hiding behind the cairn on old man. was then took down the Coniston race route, very exhilarating.
    Spent Saturday going round the shops due to a bad head, something to do with not getting to bed till nearly 02:00.
    Sunday was at the climbing wall, would have normally went for a run but I'm going off for three days lightweight backpacking in the lakes this week so had a rest.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Anyone else have tales of woe from this crap weekend?

ST

sat was very bad ST. I very much doubt whether you would get weather like that on your summer attempt and if you do, I would defer it. ..... Here's hoping for calmer times.
    Amen to that - i think it would have been impossible to get round, also - i would quite like to enjoy at least some of it!