Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Performance over the years

Re: Performance over the years

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    this phenomemon is not unique to fell running

guess how many of the top 50 all-time British 10k road times were set in the last 10 years...

it's... one! (Mo Farah last year)

the vast majority were set in the 80's

the record still stands from 1984 (Nick Rose 27:34)

even 10,000m track is not much different
    (4th all-time British is Dave Bedford dating from 1973)

Ricky Wilde (holder of the longest-standing fell-race record - Sept.1977 Lantern Pike - slightly older than A.Styan's Langdale record) is still 4th all-time british indoor 3000m dating from 1970!
    Backing this up from a slightly different angle, I did 33-49 for 10k in one of my races in 1983, however I just failed to make top 100 in the race.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Excel formula I use for performance rating:

=(100-YOUR POSITION/NUMBER OF FINISHERS*100+WINNING TIME IN MINUTES/YOUR TIME IN MINUTES*100)/2

Other things could be factored in such as course record but I have stuck with this. 80% or above and I'm happy.

Thanks for the info Ady in Accy and IainR

I'm now busy trying to find all the winners times,numbers of runners etc etc.

Not too busy though for the relays on Sunday where i hope for a performance better than i think it will be!!

Interesting topic this,below is a statistic copied from that "road to beijing" website,which has been mentioned on here before.So why are elite runners of today so much slower ? Does this follow into fellrunning,are the greats of yesteryear(80's) so much better than today ?

"102 British marathon runners ran under the 2:20 mark in 1985 while only 5 runners managed the same feat in 2007. In 2007 over 600 Ethiopian and Kenyan runners ran under this time"
    Last edited by Rodders rambler; 16-10-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Banned

I think standards have fallen massively in distance running in this country over the last forty years - not only evidenced by the very top runners so much as the next ten, fifty and five hundred below. This is evidenced by pretty much every single criteria you wish to apply.

It is something I have thought about a lot for many years. I suggest the most significant thing is that as little as ten years ago it was hardly exceptional for a teenage boy to run half a mile in close to two minutes because lifstyles were healthier. It seems to me obvious that once this pool of talent was lost it would never be recovered.

The second most significant thing is that competitve attitudes have been pretty much drummed out of boys, although the same thing appears not to have happened to the same extent with girls.

this phenomemon is not unique to fell running

guess how many of the top 50 all-time British 10k road times were set in the last 10 years...

it's... one! (Mo Farah last year)

the vast majority were set in the 80's

the record still stands from 1984 (Nick Rose 27:34)
    Interestingly I saw Nick tonight out watching a group doing a session in Bristol. There are some handy runners in the group as there were in the two junior groups (male and female) but in all cases I will be suprised if the runners get to the standards the coatches were capable of. As has been said the general level of fitness of children is just not as high as it was, too much ps3 and xbox entertainment rather than outside with your mates....

Ifor
    Last edited by ifor; 16-10-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fix quote