Thread: Lakeland Classics Trophy 2008

Lakeland Classics Trophy 2008

7th Lakeland Classics Trophy 2008
    The organizers are grateful to Pete Bland Sports for sponsoring the 2008 Trophy and increasing the number of Bentham Pottery mugs awarded to 16. These now include a mug for highest women scorer in all 6 races and best improver from the previous year.

In 2008 104 runners (including 13 women) and 14 teams (mixed) completed the series: a record in all cases.

Male Pete Vale Mercia
    Female Janet McIver Dark Peak
    Team Borrowdale

Men
    1st Pete Vale Mercia
    2nd (V40) Mark Palmer Mynydd Du
    3rd Ben Abdelnoor Ambleside
    Vet 40 (4th) Jon Deegan Ambleside
    Vet 40 (5th) John Hunt Dark Peak
    Vet 50 Chris Lumb Kendal
    Vet 60 Dave Tait Dark Peak
    Series * Jonathan Wright Todmorden

Ladies
    1st Janet McIver Dark Peak
    2nd Jane Reedy Ambleside
    3rd (V40) Julie Carter CFR
    Series* Jo Moore Keswick

Best Improver# Jamie Rackham CFR

Team Counters Barry Wilkinson, Dave Ward, Michael Cunningham (Borrowdale)

Series* prize refers to highest scorer in all 6 races.
    Best Improver # is calculated on 2007 Trophy.

The three main trophies and mugs will be presented at the FRA “Do” on Saturday 8th November. It would be helpful to Graham Breeze (01943 874046 or [email protected] ) if prizewinners would let him know whether or not they will be attending the “Do”.

Re: Lakeland Classics Trophy 2

Graham,

Just wanted to say I entered the classics this year and am hooked! Cannot believe races such as Ennerdale and Wasdale were in danger of dying out.

Thank you for helping to revive them as otherwise people like me as a relative newcomer to running would never have got to experience them! Also thanks to the clubs that organise them!

Be back next year for more of the same. Already looking forward to Ennerdale.
    Last edited by AJF; 15-10-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Graham,

Just wanted to say I entered the classics this year and am hooked! Cannot believe races such as Ennerdale and Wasdale were in danger of dying out.

Thank you for helping to revive them as otherwise people like me as a relative newcomer to running would never have got to experience them! Also thanks to the clubs that organise them!

Be back next year for more of the same. Already looking forward to Ennerdale.
    Thank you!

Is there an overall positions list anywhere?
    I will be near the bottom somewhere, but I'd like to know what I've got to improve on for next year eh... I thoroughly enjoyed being pushed to my limit on the 3 I chose to do: Ennerdale, Duddon and Borrowdale.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

It's on the fellrunner front page under championships, mudlugger http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results...ndividual.html

Brett has the final version produced this afternoon for posting on the website.

Smile Re: Lakeland Classics Trophy 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    It's on the fellrunner front page under championships, mudlugger http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results...ndividual.html
    ta pudgy, will now work out a strategy to improve my position by small % for next year eh...
    As I'm running at my peak this year, that could be a real challenge but a whole lot of fun... and effort!
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Ladies

The number of women completing the 6 races that make up the LCT reached a high of 235 in 2008.

This total is made up of, in race Calendar order, 40-15-11-66-47-56 ie 40 women finished at DV and 56 at Langdale etc.

The number of Ladies teams completing the races was also a high at 25 made up of 4-zero-zero-10-6-5 ie no ladies teams completed Ennerdale and Wasdale. Very few women compete in these races and therefore even fewer teams except in Champ years eg in 2006 4 ladies teams completed Ennerdale.

The LCT does not award a Ladies Team Prize because in the 7 years of the Trophy there have only been two years when a women's team completed the series.

Currently the LCT team prize is actually a mixed team prize and Rebecca Cash counted in the Borrowdale team in 2005 and received a LCT mug.

The point of this posting is to explain this but to indicate that if more Ladies teams did complete the LCT series the LCT organisers would be minded to start awarding a ladies team prize.

In effect this means more ladies and therefore ladies teams entering Ennerdale and Wasdale, which might then lead to the two race organisers recognising this with a ladies team prize.

Views?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-10-2008 at 07:51 PM.

I'd provide the incentive first, i.e. provide prizes and I think teams will run. A group from our club intend doing the LCT next year, nots ure how many women but I reckon they'd get a women out and could rally a few more if they were after a team prize.