Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buttock injury?

Buttock injury?

Is it possible? I thought it was in my upper hamstring but now seems to be in my lower buttock............? Just stifness and a toothache sort of sensation. Does not seem to hurt or stop me running but does not seem to be going away. Bit of an odd one to take to the physio.

Err...........constructive replies only.

Super Moderator

Re: Buttock injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Is it possible? I thought it was in my upper hamstring but now seems to be in my lower buttock............? Just stifness and a toothache sort of sensation. Does not seem to hurt or stop me running but does not seem to be going away. Bit of an odd one to take to the physio.

Sounds like it could be sciatica (sp). My brother gets it and described it to me as being like toothache. He used to ice the small of his back to get some relief

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sounds like it could be sciatica (sp). My brother gets it and described it to me as being like toothache. He used to ice the small of his back to get some relief
    I have heard that sciatica can come on out of the blue but I thought that was the lower back. I have a suspision that this current niggle started around 5 weeks ago when I set off from a crouched start in a 100 metre race and seemed to list/wobble to one side when I set off - no pain though but it seems to stem from then.............I am still running so will see if it gets any worse.

Super Moderator

I've never done any stretching Ady and like many fell runners have always been keen to dash off to the pub asap after races etc. However I've been stretching calves, quads, ITB for last 3 months following runners' knee problem and my lower back and hamstrings are much freer now - it's made a huge difference. Next thing is to try drinking water too but that's a step too far tbh

your Gluteus Maximus is your main muscle in your buttock, the sciatic nerve runs up towards the lower back, does it hurt when you are standing from a sitting position or when you are doing squats?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    does it hurt when you are standing from a sitting position or when you are doing squats?
    Not really, bit of toothache type sensation when sat down and stiffness when touching toes also twinges in various parts of the leg now and again when sat around.
    I know an injury can't be acurately diagnosed on here and I should go to a physio for a proper answer but I will just keep running for now and see if it goes any worse, at which point I will go. If it is sciatica am I correct in saying there is no real solution and it just goes away after a while?

Not really, bit of toothache type sensation when sat down and stiffness when touching toes also twinges in various parts of the leg now and again when sat around.

how much training you doing at the moment, have you increased it lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    how much training you doing at the moment, have you increased it lately?
    Increased but gradual and have been stretching hams and calves daily. Doing longer runs lately 10-18 as well as my 6 miles trots up hameldon. Still <35 miles per week at the moment. Could nip over and see ya if you think you may be able to diagnose...............

Bit of a bummer that Ady.....
    Still too heavy to run

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    Bit of a bummer that Ady.....
    that's a bit cheeky Ady