Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OMM mrt donations

Re: OMM mrt donations

Quote Originally Posted by Malky View Post
    In other words, they still blame the runners for causing the rescue and can neatly use the fact that you have raised so much money as an admission of your guilt.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7700628.stm

Agree, I saw the raising as a gesture of good will, not a 'thanks for saving us' which is how the BBC have spun it. Very poor sensationalist journalism, and you expect more from the BBC than this tabloid style we've seen over the past week.

Instead of backing down and starting to understand the situation like the Times et al have done, the BBC have twisted this good will gesture to further enhance their story.

Quote Originally Posted by FenlandFellrunner View Post

One other thing that made me angry was John Ashton's comment that ""They didn't spend any money. They came in their cars and went in their cars and just left Cumbria with a big bill." As I say, I wasn't at the OMM, but I have taken part in a number of fell races in Cumbria this year, spending getting on for £1000 on accommodation, food, fuel etc and I've not called upon Mr Ashton's precious services once. Will he give me a refund?
    Just rejoined, so may have missed this elsewhere, but does Mr Ashton not realise that there are plenty of us who live, work and play in the lakes AND pay our taxes to the relevant councils?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Chris View Post
    Just rejoined, so may have missed this elsewhere, but does Mr Ashton not realise that there are plenty of us who live, work and play in the lakes AND pay our taxes to the relevant councils?
    i doubt it somewot, after all they normally only care about kissing the bosses arse for promotion..
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Chris View Post
    and are you worried that according to Prof Ashton (who presumably know more about these things than about mountain marathons), having to treat about 6 additional people stretched the medical services of Cumbria to breaking point?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    http://www.justgiving.com/theomm08-mrtdonation

As it seems that several teams have been involved, I've set it up to donate to the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Council rather than one specific team, hopefully this is in keeping with what other people would want.

Thanks,

Nick
    Just had another peek at this. What a superb effort to raise that amount of cash for Mountain Rescue. Some very generous people out there. Says a lot more about runners and outdoorsy people than what we read in the press.

Well done Nick.

I'd like to make a donation from a Give As You Earn account which will receive a 50% matched funding from my employer. Does anyone know if this can be included in the total.

IainR said: "and you expect more from the BBC than this tabloid style "

that may have been the case many years ago, but the BBC has gone downhill (!) big style over the last 10yrs - journalistic standards have plumbed the depths along with their overpaid so called comedians - and that includes Ross and co.