Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling the girls!

Master and MR

Re: Calling the girls!

amazin how many lads were viewing this thread 5 minutes ago
    are me and david learnin you guys something

JLS....
    You may have found this data/info' already.... if my memory serves me.. (which, it rarely does).. I think Bridget Hogge (back in the 80's), was perhaps the first person/woman to be diagnosed with a stress fracture of the pelvis, due to fell (+road?) running, she was right at the sharp end then...

also, I think it was the subject of an article in the Lancet and/or a paper on the "exceptional" nature of her condition... no doubt others hereabouts will fill in the blanks or put my right... However, I'd suggest it could be worth speaking with Bridget if she can be found; as I'd imagine (having met her quite a few times) that she would be able to provide some useful information & thoughts on the thread...

PS The thread, made me peruse Summer 85' Fell Runner.... gripping stuff!

Does this type of article help?

Musculoskeletal Problems in The Female Athlete: Stress Fractures

There are several books associated with female runners e.g.

Running and Pregnancy

or a more general book (that all endurance athletes should read)

Marathon Medicine
    Last edited by XRunner; 20-02-2007 at 06:31 AM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    There appears to be a lot of evidence that for women the reduction in body fat caused by exercise leads to a lowering of oestrogen level which in turn causes irregular periods and reduces the body's ability to absorb calcium. Eating excesive amounts of protein and fibre can also adversely affect calcium absorbtion. The answer seems to be to eat plenty of calcium-rich foods, limit protein intake to 15-20% of total calories and don't get obsessive about reducing body fat below a sensible, healthy level.
    Thanks for that David, I had heard of a link between fibre and calcium absorption but hadn't considered protein, I wonder what the mechanism for that is?

JLS
    I only run so I can eat cake Oh...and drink cider

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    amazin how many lads were viewing this thread 5 minutes ago
    are me and david learnin you guys something
    I think you may well be 'learnin' the boys something! All men love reading a girls magazine, this is like the live version

JLS

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    JLS....
    You may have found this data/info' already.... if my memory serves me.. (which, it rarely does).. I think Bridget Hogge (back in the 80's), was perhaps the first person/woman to be diagnosed with a stress fracture of the pelvis, due to fell (+road?) running, she was right at the sharp end then...

also, I think it was the subject of an article in the Lancet and/or a paper on the "exceptional" nature of her condition... no doubt others hereabouts will fill in the blanks or put my right... However, I'd suggest it could be worth speaking with Bridget if she can be found; as I'd imagine (having met her quite a few times) that she would be able to provide some useful information & thoughts on the thread...

PS The thread, made me peruse Summer 85' Fell Runner.... gripping stuff!
    Thanks for that Luv Shack, I'll do a bit of research on her.

JLS

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Does this type of article help?

Musculoskeletal Problems in The Female Athlete: Stress Fractures

There are several books associated with female runners e.g.

Running and Pregnancy

or a more general book (that all endurance athletes should read)

Marathon Medicine
    Thanks X Runner,

Considering I take my diet pretty seriously and read alot of articles about food and nutrition I've never actually read a book such as you have suggested 'Marathon Medicine'. This may well be the way to go, because otherwise it can be a bit of a minefield trying to incorporate all the hints and tips I pick up along the way.

JLS

Glad that this thread has prompted some discussion.The idea of supplementation interests me.........a copy of Runners World recommended magnesium (I seem to remember) do other folk take stuff? If so, what? and does it work?

I have found starflower oil really useful (same stuff in it as evening primrose and helps with some of the physical premenstrual symptoms...for me at least) but would appreciate any guidance , really.

Master and MR

there can be problems if you have calcium for too long

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Glad that this thread has prompted some discussion.The idea of supplementation interests me.........a copy of Runners World recommended magnesium (I seem to remember) do other folk take stuff? If so, what? and does it work?

I have found starflower oil really useful (same stuff in it as evening primrose and helps with some of the physical premenstrual symptoms...for me at least) but would appreciate any guidance , really.
    Magnesium is involved in bone health, I've been taking various suppliments since developing my stress fracture plus increasing my intake of nuts and seeds which contain alot of the nutrients involved in all round health but including bone health. I haven't considered what suppliments may help with my irregular periods, I'll look into it, suggestions welcome.

JLS