Re: I struggle with recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Boooooooo
    Obviously, Ady can eat and drink what he wants, be fast and recover quickly
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Hills and Guinness!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Try combining some exercises to disperse lactic acid before stretching. E.g. running about 50 paces each doing the following:

Kicking up the heels to touch your buttcheeks (does your thighs)
    Bringing the knees up to hip level (glutes)
    Side stepping to the left then right (groin)

Doing this followed by stretching all the major muscles after running always does it for me. I try to do it on back streets so I don't look like too much of an idiot.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Cheers.
    I'll try all that you've suggeted and see how things go on.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    If i got for a run over about 8 miles or so, the next day my legs will be as stiff as hell and they will continue to be so for quite a few days afterwards, preventing me going for runs.

I stretch after my runs and i generally run at a constant pace (not out-doing myself) so im doing all i can to help them recover.
    I have a bath with muscle soak after my runs and have a electrolite drink when i get back. And i generally have something decent to eat.

Im a young fit lad of 18 and this shouldnt be happening to me.

Ive heard that taking protein drinks help recovery, and even compression socks to be worn the next day after your run.

Can anybody help me here, because im trying to run every other day and run over 20 miles a week minumum and at the moment my recovery is preventing this!
    Al, fluid collects in the muscles during exercise, and is one of the causes of muscle soreness. To overcome this you've got to run when your legs are stiff. You might have to run slower, but over time the stiffness will vanish, only recurring when you race or train exceptionally hard.

Stretching and taking protein drinks won't help with the stiffness. This is because a deficiency of protein didn't cause the muscle pain, but stretching certainly did. I mean the stretching that is naturally produced during running movements.

Unless you're planning to do the floor exercise in gymnastics, or you want to increase your flexibility as an end in itself, you don't need to do additional stretching exercises. The running you do will stretch the muscles in a specific manner, and when you adapt to this stretching, the soreness will stop.

One last point: Lactic acid does not build up during aerobics. It only increases when you sustain an oxygen debt I.e. anaerobically. Therefore it isn't the cause of delayed muscular soreness.
    Last edited by CL; 28-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks chris, i'll keep thag in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    If i got for a run over about 8 miles or so, the next day my legs will be as stiff as hell and they will continue to be so for quite a few days afterwards, preventing me going for runs.

I stretch after my runs and i generally run at a constant pace (not out-doing myself) so im doing all i can to help them recover.
    I have a bath with muscle soak after my runs and have a electrolite drink when i get back. And i generally have something decent to eat.

Im a young fit lad of 18 and this shouldnt be happening to me.

Ive heard that taking protein drinks help recovery, and even compression socks to be worn the next day after your run.

Can anybody help me here, because im trying to run every other day and run over 20 miles a week minumum and at the moment my recovery is preventing this!
    Hey mate,
    Heart Rate Monitor training has been a great aid in improving my running....Takes the concept of hard days and recovery days but with the HRM and discipline makes you run recovery days at proper "recovery" pace...It's like the Kenyan running mantra "Easy days easier, hard days harder"..Great book to apply to the training is John L Parker Jr's "Heart Rate monitor training for the compleat idiot"....don't know if it is still in print.
    I've been running for over 27 years and although I ain't no ROADRUNNER and never will be, I've gone from training 4 or 5 days a week and feeling run down all the time to training 6 / 7 days a week, quality mileage (plus increase in mileage) and feeling full of zip..Less illness and injuries also....Brilliant stuff..with a bit of tweaking HRM training can be transferred to the fells.
    Just something else for you to have a look at mate.
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alphin View Post
    John L Parker Jr's "Heart Rate monitor training for the compleat idiot"
    Didn't he also do the theme song to Ghostbusters?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Didn't he also do the theme song to Ghostbusters?
    that's ray parker junior, and here's another bit of useless info, The parker brothers make ouija boards

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

out of curiosity how often do you change your shoes and what terrain do you run over?
    what shoes do you wear?
    are your legs more stiff after certain runs?
    what do you do for a job or when your not working/
    could all be relative at your age of growing.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    out of curiosity how often do you change your shoes and what terrain do you run over?
    what shoes do you wear?
    are your legs more stiff after certain runs?
    what do you do for a job or when your not working/
    could all be relative at your age of growing.

I go to uni in preston. I catch the bus and have a half mile walk from the station to the uni.....i also walk quite fast so maybe i should slow down when my legs are stiff.
    I have adidas kanaida for running offroad and when i run on the road i have some asics which are actually train shoes but are fine for on the road- im getting some proper road shoes from crimbo ;
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 29-10-2008 at 08:59 PM.