Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JNC Route Choices

Master

Re: JNC Route Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes there is

On the Langdale face of Hanging Knotts are a set of ramps that lead up to a point about 100m to the north of the top of Bowfell Buttress. Photo here:
    http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/pict...fell-rakes.jpg
    It is a pity this photo has gone - I have done this section 3 times and failed to find a good way up each time. From a distance several ramps are easy to see, but once you are on the face they become very difficult to find. Each time I found lots of unstable scree, and lots of little cairns marking what appeared to multiple paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It is a pity this photo has gone - I have done this section 3 times and failed to find a good way up each time. From a distance several ramps are easy to see, but once you are on the face they become very difficult to find. Each time I found lots of unstable scree, and lots of little cairns marking what appeared to multiple paths.
    You should tag along with a BG recce some time as it's the same route. Hard to describe, but once you've followed it on the ground it's relatively easy to pick up again. It's a great route; picks a straight-forward line up what looks like quite an intimidating face. It's easy to spot the rakes from a distance, less so once you're at the bottom of the route!
    Geoff Clarke

Attachment 6797
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I saved the photo from Bob when I did it and have reinserted it, if there is anything else I can help with let me know.
    Last edited by studmarks; 25-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by studmarks View Post
    Attachment 6797 I saved the photo from Bob when I did it and have reinserted it, if there is anything else I can help with let me know.
    Thanks, that is most helpful.

The photo hasn't gone, just relocated I'll post the new location when I get on my main computer.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

OK, the image is now online again here - http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/images/...fell-rakes.jpg There's also the view from the Bowfell plateau of the exit points - the lettering matches in both shots - http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/images/bgr/bowfell.jpg
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

alwaysinjured

Descent to Kirkstone - Direct route.

I have often wondered whether there is a viable route after Pike How from the coll below it, as the path rises again on the ridge , in a long raking descent traverse to Kirkstone.

I had a go yesterday and the answer is don't try it! Sure - it loses some climb, and the descent down a stream reentrant for the first hundred feet is on grass and OK. But the traverse to Kirkstone from there is dire. It is very rocky, and tussocky, very wet in places and generally unpleasant.

It may well be quicker, since we spent some time stopped and a bit of back tracking and still only took 2 extra minutes longer than the pace we were making for all other tops despite having wasted more than that looking, and for the most part walking because the terrain was not good enough even to trot. Not something I will ever repeat!.

The recce route on the other hand was good and makes a natural long loop from the small car park near hartsopp via knott to high raise then JNC toute round to fairfield, and back down the ridge from Hart Crag , is over 5500 climb and 16 miles so is around 1/3 of a joss.