Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Clwydian Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Having run this 9 years on the trot I think I know most of the good lines. They do evolve though due to the changing nature of the heather, new stretches are cut every year and it grows back quite rapidly. The other change is when marshalls interpret their location instructions differently - we should have gone to the top cairn south of Moel Dywll yesterday but the marshall was squarely on the Offa's Dyke path instead! I usually benefit there but there was nothing doing yesterday.
    I was surprised to see him on the path. Is that where Mike Blake was,CP5 ? Is Mark on about the traverse from CP4 to the stile (by the stream) ? I can't believe you can save a minute going direct slightly up the hill and down. I stayed low,although went direct on my recce last week.
    I also thought CP2 was way further left than I thought. Although looking at the map now,its hard to determine where they are meant to be without a little circle to highlight exactly. I ended up going through the stream for 30 yards !
    The biggest route choice for me is the climb from the bomb hole to the offas dyke path before CP5. I went straight up and looked back to see Jez miles over to the left. I'd have to time both routes personally to know which one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by JontheVron View Post
    Is Mark on about the traverse from CP4 to the stile (by the stream) ? I can't believe you can save a minute going direct slightly up the hill and down. I stayed low,although went direct on my recce last week.
    I'm guessing, but maybe a minute. I was behind a group of 4 runners who stayed low and arrived at the stile slightly ahead of them. Perhaps that gave the impression of a greater time gain that actually happened, but it was certainly a line that gained places. Mind you I was in the mid pack (finished 31st).

I also went well left on the climb to the ridge and have tried all the variations. In truth, there is not so much in it. I think the only thing to avoid is hanging around in the little 'trench' at the bottom of that climb as it sends you a bit off line. It's all good ground on that slope to the gate part-way up and so as direct a line to the gate as is practicable is the way to go I would suggest. I would defer to WH though, given that it's literally his back yard!

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar
    I can't make it this year as I'll be up in Scotland, but I had a wee run round the new section at the weekend. Lots of choice between taking a short line & getting your shins ripped apart by gorse or taking a longer, runnable line. The choice will be yours.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Some great route choices here today. I'm hoping this fog stays down.

I appreciate that this race does not have a permit or insurance from the FRA, however I would have expected the RO to have some knowledge of it's rules for competition and requirements for runners. I am talking about rule 3 in the document below (and it definitely felt like a cat AM race to me!)
    http://fellrunner.org.uk/documents/F...10-09-2015.pdf
    Was surprised at the guidance being given considering the event is organised by NEWSAR.
    That gripe aside, I really enjoyed the route - both fast and steep in parts, made the best of the terrain without too much convolution and just enough potential for the odd navigation disaster ;o)

no gear

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    I appreciate that this race does not have a permit or insurance from the FRA, however I would have expected the RO to have some knowledge of it's rules for competition and requirements for runners. I am talking about rule 3 in the document below (and it definitely felt like a cat AM race to me!)
    http://fellrunner.org.uk/documents/F...10-09-2015.pdf
    Was surprised at the guidance being given considering the event is organised by NEWSAR.
    That gripe aside, I really enjoyed the route - both fast and steep in parts, made the best of the terrain without too much convolution and just enough potential for the odd navigation disaster ;o)
    After CP9 a group of us caught up one of the runners who chucked his bum bag into the bushes at the start . He was waiting for someone to show him the way back. Shame his map was in his bumbag and lucky the weather was good

Although the new route for this race shortened it by a mile it made it much, much tougher; really enjoyed it. There was also still scope for me to pick better lines from checkpoints 4 - 6.

Huge thanks to NEWSAR volunteers

Results, photos and report for 2019
    https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=875