Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Clwydian Hills

Re: Clwydian Hills

yip
    what emmi said
    splendid to see/chat with emmi over the first couple of hundred yards til she ran away from me
    despite the glorious conditions, I was glad of having a map to refer to at several points
    and there was definitely plenty of gorse mixed in with the bracken :w00t:

usual superb standard of photos from Al too :thumbup:
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Another corker in the Clwydians, thanks to NEWSAR for organising it. Lots of people going astray so a probably inflated finishing position for me as its my backyard Great weather, muddy in places and a bit nippy - classic November racing conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Another corker in the Clwydians, thanks to NEWSAR for organising it. Lots of people going astray so a probably inflated finishing position for me as its my backyard Great weather, muddy in places and a bit nippy - classic November racing conditions
    Hi Mark

Re alternate route - see my post of 21/08/12 on this thread!

And rapid results from yesterday!!

http://newsar.org.uk/fundraising/new.../results-2012/
    Last edited by Welsh Harrier; 05-11-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Wow, WH I see what you mean re the alternative route....more like a mini-MM/orienteering sort of course. Stick to the current classic route i say!

Hi
    Any idea which route will be used this year ? Might go for recce on Wednesday morning if anyones keen. Weather permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by JontheVron View Post
    Hi
    Any idea which route will be used this year ? Might go for recce on Wednesday morning if anyones keen. Weather permitting.
    Almost certain to be the regular route unless the weather is foul in which case they'll go for a lower level option. See you there?

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Almost certain to be the regular route unless the weather is foul in which case they'll go for a lower level option. See you there?
    Is that as last year ? Anti clockwise. If it's the same route as on Newsar site then i'll use that for a recce. Any OOB areas not detailed I should be aware of ?

I think i'll make the short journey over on the 3rd

Did a recce of route this afternoon. What a little belter. Ive only ran here twice before once being the intercounties a couple of years back.
    Route was pretty straight forward,just a couple of issues !
    I take it checkpoint 3 is the small cairn in the heather,that you have to dart over to and back onto the path. The bracken is quite thick,and easier just to return to the path asap i'd say.
    The section between the CP4 and CP5 just after the stile has a few choices, I hugged the fence to start then skimmed the bracken on the right and pretty much went straight up over the track through some burnt bracken which joined the grass track a little further right than the map.
    CP5 looks like a jump over the fence and back over to go on the more worn path..... The descent into CP6 is something else ! The stoney scrambling path up the valley seems to suggest a slight veer off to the left near the top....but I couldn't find it and just went straight up to meet the path and left to MF.
    Finish is fast and great running.
    Looking forward to the race now.

Quote Originally Posted by JontheVron View Post
    Did a recce of route this afternoon. What a little belter. Ive only ran here twice before once being the intercounties a couple of years back.
    Route was pretty straight forward,just a couple of issues !
    I take it checkpoint 3 is the small cairn in the heather,that you have to dart over to and back onto the path. The bracken is quite thick,and easier just to return to the path asap i'd say.
    The section between the CP4 and CP5 just after the stile has a few choices, I hugged the fence to start then skimmed the bracken on the right and pretty much went straight up over the track through some burnt bracken which joined the grass track a little further right than the map.
    CP5 looks like a jump over the fence and back over to go on the more worn path..... The descent into CP6 is something else ! The stoney scrambling path up the valley seems to suggest a slight veer off to the left near the top....but I couldn't find it and just went straight up to meet the path and left to MF.
    Finish is fast and great running.
    Looking forward to the race now.
    You're right about CP3.
    CP4 to CP5 has choices but most people take the line that's marked on the map.
    CP5 does not involve any fence jumping, it's the higher of the twin cairns which are both on the western side of the fence/wall.

Good luck!

Is this on at 11am, can't see time for 2013 race! Cheers