Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR - What standard to do it?

Re: BGR - What standard to do

Just work on your downhills Horny!

I am working hard on my uphills

For what it is worth: wait until I have attempted mine and I tell you more... I am a very average runner, yet I reckon I can complete the challenge in under 24 hours. Mind you, I am not aiming for much under 24 hours :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Just work on your downhills Horny!

I am working hard on my uphills
    Send me some nice hills to practise on please
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by kaskajohn View Post
    I know it would be very different, I think I am trying to find out if a very average runner like me, who would train hard can do it or are the majority of the completers top notch fell runners?
    You certainly dont have to be top notch mate

Id say id be about 3 hrs for a marathon nowadays but it has no earing on the BG.
    Long days out on the lakeland fells, recces, and climb climb climb.
    Then do some more climbing. Learn to push your mind beyond normality.

I did a 56mile walk and some long long runs like 17hrs. Your mind starts to accept it as normal.
    Not one part of my BG did I want to get off the fell. I loved every minute of it.
    Get a good BG partner and a good team and you stand a good chance of completing.

Id say I averaged 60 / 70 miles a week and prob about 10,000ft of climbing.
    Its the 24hr time thats important , nothig else.

If you want any tips PM me

Quote Originally Posted by kaskajohn View Post
    Thanks for all the advice,

I have been 'googling' BGR and starting to view some of the many pages on the web, including the ones suggested on here. Still interested in trying to match my running times / experience against someone similar who has completed the BGR. Difficult I know, would certainly put the training in if I go for it next year.

John
    Wightplodder got round this year, he lives on the Isle of Wight and didn't have any bother

Running times don't really matter for the BG all you need to do is jog on the flat and downhills.

Its getting your body used to all the ascent and descent thats the problem, plus being able to take in enough food without feeling ill

I was doing at least 10,000ft per week hitting 20,000 a few times but everyone is different.

Oh and the biggest thing of all don't give in
    Bill

Horny, come to the Black Mountains and practice :-)

Mind you, you need those LOOOOOOONG ascents you get in the Lakes for proper practice, just running up and down Pen-y-fan is not going to cut it!

And I agree about the endurance bit. I am by no means fast, however, I keep going forever. I am happy out running for 6-8 hours a day at the moment, ascending and descending a fair amount doing 30-40 odd miles. I just keep chugging along. I also can eat more or less anything while on the move, which is helpful too

I wish I could get to Black Hills / Lakes or anywhere with decent hills more regularly. Lack of a job at the moment doesn't help either. I'm not the best at eating and drinking on the run, however I'm not too bad at slower paces so should cope ok on something like BGR.
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post

and whatever you do, get 10000 foot of climbing in a week at least once you get into the training. It pays off.

ST
    Thats good advice. My first attempt unsuccesful I concerntrated on long runs, often flat. Year two I concerntrated on climbing hills. It was difficult living in Nottingham to get 10,000 a week but even going up and down some 200 footers near to home 10 time twice a week and then up and down Kinder at weekends helped. Near London there are some good hills, North downs etc, but even Hampstead Heath would be good for up and down reps, far better than 26 miles on the flat. Towards march April I supplemented training by having a day a week in t'lakes or Wales and felt so much stronger than year before.

go for it. Ultimately its how much you want it!

Quote Originally Posted by mxhornet View Post
    I wish I could get to Black Hills / Lakes or anywhere with decent hills more regularly. Lack of a job at the moment doesn't help either.
    Southerner who should really live up North
    Time to move up North then!!!

...If you do consider that last remark seriously I'm sure you could find some leads on this forum for things like accomodation/employment/etc.

[Not forgetting - we're friendly up North]