Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarah Rowell article

Re: Sara Rowell article

Brett,

Call me old-fashioned and gallant but I do like to get a lady's name right.

Could this topic be reheaded Sarah?

Sara is a different name and it is not Sarah's name.

Graham

Re: Sarah Rowell article

Another excellent read in the FRA mag. Thanks Graham.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Graham,

You're old-fashioned and gallant

Yours was an excellent profile of Sarah. I for one hope you'll reconsider your decision to put down your pen.... the world will be a poorer place without your erudition and eloquence...

As for that shower scene/story...... I think for once your powers of investigative journalism weakened at the critical point - we need to, errrrrrr, get to the bottom of this........ Having said this, Sarah is only one of a number of sassy, assertive, elite female runners who make it their business to invade one of the last refuges of the hunted male......

Who would have forecast that of all the issues mentioned-drugs, mountain races, Olympics, overracing-the one subject that has fired up the Forum is the Forum itself? "Advice that costs etc

So how do you spell narcissism?

Narcissism.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Who would have forecast that of all the issues mentioned-drugs, mountain races, Olympics, overracing-the one subject that has fired up the Forum is the Forum itself? "Advice that costs etc

So how do you spell narcissism?
    I don't actually think that thread is about the forum; it certainly wasn't my intention in starting it. It only uses Sarah Rowell's comment as a jumping-off point and is actually about what not to do when fellrunning. In a way, it pokes gentle fun at forum-type advice, rather than massaging forum egos.

However, following the Fellrunner article, I actually think it would be appropriate for someone to redress the balance a bit by sticking up for the forum. Not all the genuine advice on here is dangerous; far from it. And whilst Sarah Rowell is right to point out that it is not a perfect source of information and expertise, nothing is. Even physios, doctors, and sports scientists sometimes get it wrong...
    At least on here any advice offered is in the public domain, and if somebody does commit a howler - such as giving a bearing that would lead runners over a cliff - it's usually corrected pretty swiftly by others.
    There is a fantastic pool of knowledge amongst the people who post on the forum and personally I've learned loads about kit, routes, races, training, injury etc. I value the experience of all the good folk on here who freely give up time to share information with others who love the sport or who may be trying it for the first time.

That's my serious post... now back to the fun on the 'Advice that costs..' thread!
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Master

Re: Sara Rowell article

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Who is Sarah refering to?
    If you're writing about the article in the Fell running magazine, then those words belong to Mr Breeze, not Sarah Rowell(Saz), although she seems to agree with him.

Anyway I've a few points to make: It obvious to me that the section(Advice that...), was an outlet for Mr Breeze and Sarah to vent their anger against me,because of our disagreements on the forum about weight training.

Mr Breeze didn't take part in those exchanges, but because of his high esteem for Sarah, he obviously didn't like me disagreeing with her.

Anyway the implications of his section heading are, that unless you pay for advice it's worthless. The truth is that I and others post on the forum, because of the selfish pleasure we get from discussing subjects that interest us.

That doesn't come for 'nothing,' it costs time and effort on the part of the participants. I post because I'd like to get people interested in My ideas so that when My book is finished, they may like to purchase it. That isn't the only reason though, I like good ideas and occasionally there are some good exchanges. Others come on here for reasons I don't care for, but the forum allows for that.

Ultimately "advice" is something adults can take or leave. That's why it's called advice. When you go to see a solicitor, they advise based on their knowledge of the law, rightly or wrongly. The fact that they have a qualification won't help one in court if they give the wrong advice. It also won't help you if you attempt to sue the solicitor, for being rubbish at his job. The same can be said for other professions.

Qualifications don't make one right when one is wrong, and Sarah, getting Mr Breeze to smuggle that piece into the article, doesn't make you right either.

As I've said before, the training ideas put forward by Myself on this forum, work for every healthy adult. I've enjoyed discussing them, and if I've helped anyone I'm pleased.
    Last edited by CL; 13-12-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I don't actually think that thread is about the forum; it certainly wasn't my intention in starting it. It only uses Sarah Rowell's comment as a jumping-off point and is actually about what not to do when fellrunning. In a way, it pokes gentle fun at forum-type advice, rather than massaging forum egos.

However, following the Fellrunner article, I actually think it would be appropriate for someone to redress the balance a bit by sticking up for the forum. Not all the genuine advice on here is dangerous; far from it. And whilst Sarah Rowell is right to point out that it is not a perfect source of information and expertise, nothing is. Even physios, doctors, and sports scientists sometimes get it wrong...
    At least on here any advice offered is in the public domain, and if somebody does commit a howler - such as giving a bearing that would lead runners over a cliff - it's usually corrected pretty swiftly by others.
    There is a fantastic pool of knowledge amongst the people who post on the forum and personally I've learned loads about kit, routes, races, training, injury etc. I value the experience of all the good folk on here who freely give up time to share information with others who love the sport or who may be trying it for the first time.

That's my serious post... now back to the fun on the 'Advice that costs..' thread!
    You beat me to it Tussock.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post

However, following the Fellrunner article, I actually think it would be appropriate for someone to redress the balance a bit by sticking up for the forum.
    I don't think saz was complaining about the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Who would have forecast that of all the issues mentioned-drugs, mountain races, Olympics, overracing-the one subject that has fired up the Forum is the Forum itself?
    Well at least one person reads your articles quite closely Graham.!!!!

and I don't think you should stop either. that would be a travesty (is that a big enough word?)