Thread: Cold Feet

Cold Feet

No, seriously!!

Anyone got any good remedies for keeping the feet warm whilst out running in the winter? On longer days out, especially once there's snow around, my feet turn to blocks of ice and it becomes really difficult to run and feel the ground properly. I'm really NOT being a wuss

Any suggestions?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Re: Cold Feet

I tried a pair of Seal Skinz ultralight socks today, they are waterproof but the holes where your feet go in arent

They do however do a good job of keeping your feet warm, if anything there windproof. Not the greatest things to run in but for training runs they should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I tried a pair of Seal Skinz ultralight socks today, they are waterproof but the holes where your feet go in arent

They do however do a good job of keeping your feet warm, if anything there windproof. Not the greatest things to run in but for training runs they should be fine!
    Thanks for that. I have used a pair and they worked for a while...but I suspect I need a new pair, they don't seem very waterproof anymore

blog

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

i have a pair of inov8 gortex shoes,
    i raced meltham at the weekend,wet,muddy and cold.
    Feet warm and dry but slightly sore,think they were missing there ice cold soaking!
    cant win!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    No, seriously!!

Anyone got any good remedies for keeping the feet warm whilst out running in the winter? On longer days out, especially once there's snow around, my feet turn to blocks of ice and it becomes really difficult to run and feel the ground properly. I'm really NOT being a wuss

Any suggestions?
    I have rubbish circulation but I'm usually okay in those navy coloured wool Hilly socks. Avoid cotton as once it's wet it's worse than useless. Those black and red 1000ml socks are fantastic when you get them but I think they've got too many noughts in the name as mine were thread bare in the heels after about 100mls!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    No, seriously!!

Any suggestions?
    You can get dry socks Similar to Dry suits warn by dinghy sailors, They aren't breathable but are waterproof, They are alot thinner that neoprene so you can wear a thermal sock underneath. Don't know how they would 'wear' though if you got lots of grit in your shoes.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try a few of these ideas. It's been spoiling a few runs for me in the last year so it'd be nice to sort it out. It's no fun trying to run when you have no feeling in your feet at all!

A freezing cold day up in the snow on Kinder last week reminded me that winter is here!!

blog

anyone tried those feet warmer sachets that golfer's use? I wonder if they would work after being immersed in a peat slushpuppy
    Last edited by philgreen1968; 05-12-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling again

I use a combination of really thin meino wool socks which are summer weight running socks with some of the porelle drys over the top. Your feet get a little damp but the wool keeps you warm whatever. I ran last night in the snow and slush and was fine. I think that although you get damp feet, the water doesn't flush in and out cooling your feet.

My drys are old but still work well but I am going to try the thinnest of the sealskin range, the ultra light. http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psP...er|1,0,0,1|45| I think that this will be a thinner combination.