Has anyone used these as a part of a regular training program??

I live in a pretty flat area and can only really get to the hills of a weekend, however am completely hill unfit nowadays. My flat speed is increasing but that's not much cop when it comes to a chuffing bill hill!

I was introduced to the Stairmaster at the gym last week and went of just for 10 minutes just to 'see' It was actually pretty good. It's not one of the little step things where you go like the clappers but the steps are the depth and width of those on an escalator

Anyway I have an just under an hour on a tuesday evening in the gym as 2 of my children go to a sports session there so today I did a 5km run on the dreadmill in a PB so was thrilled with that then after getting my breath back went on this thing for half an hour.

I chose an aerobic program based on my weight etc at quite a high level (levels go up to 20)and off it went. After 10 minutes I was getting the hang of it and the climbing was quite steady, after 15 minutes it was getting a bit hard work after half an hour the legs were screaming!!

Apparenty I travelled over 3 miles of continuous stepping of which the speed and resistence continually changed but I suppose due to the level I chose even the easy bit was pretty hard!

I just wondered does anyone else use these and have you found it useful?? I know it's no substitute to the real thing but then what is?! It must of be of some benefit surely or my legs wouldn't be hurting!