Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stairmasters

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Stairmasters

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Emm, not seen one of these m/c, but half an hour sounds like a long time to me, if you were outside doing hill reps they would be short with recovery runs,so why not try say 5 min, then go on treadmill for an easy run and repeat. I think you would get the same benefits without the lactic build up and not have knackered legs. Does sound like a good m/c if you are restricted for time.
    You'd probably have the problem then of getting on the equipment if you've jumped off onto the treadmill.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Hi Em

Well, i'm using this thing at the gym too. (5 weeks & 2 days of no running due to crap foot injury.) Using it hands free gives you a good core workout & is good for your balance but I can't go to as high a level as if I support my hands on the rails so I just mix it up a bit.

Hard intervals on a static bike are good for your climbing legs too (works for me anyway)

Sorry not to reply to your pm, was in India on "holiday". Twas a bit of an epic! Hopefully see you out on the fells soon

H x

Quote Originally Posted by Tea & cake View Post
    Hi Em

Well, i'm using this thing at the gym too. (5 weeks & 2 days of no running due to crap foot injury.) Using it hands free gives you a good core workout & is good for your balance but I can't go to as high a level as if I support my hands on the rails so I just mix it up a bit.

Hard intervals on a static bike are good for your climbing legs too (works for me anyway)

Sorry not to reply to your pm, was in India on "holiday". Twas a bit of an epic! Hopefully see you out on the fells soon

H x
    No worries - good to hear from you, sorry about the crap foot thing

defiantley makes a difference not holding on to the handles. I did an aerobic workout tuesday, running at lunch time today so going to go back to the gym tonight to select a different program - intervals maybe??

I use one of these in my gym every week. I do an hour on hill plus, level 17, then straight onto the treadmill and five two min efforts. Supposed to be a glycogen depletion session, or in other words starting your efforts when you already knackered!

I don't know if it's a placebo or wether I'm just getting a bit fitter in general but I do think this thing is helping.

I went on twice last week both tough sessions thursdays being 45 minutes of intervals and I was absolutley knackered.

Anyway, didn't find the climbing at yesterdays race all too bad, now I know there was no Bessy Boot etc to climb but all the same, this time a couple of weeks ago I'd have been moaning and shuffling up but felt now that the legs were stronger and happy to keep going - shame the lungs were giving up but sadly that's a different story!!

Anyway - back on tonight after a fast 5km run on the dreadmill for a 30 minute high level session proved to be another pretty tough workout.

I'm happy to stick with it for the time being anyway and think it will be intersesting to see if things do improve although I'm not really sure how I can compare

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    That's a good idea but guess I was looking at it from the angle if I was walking up Great Gable I wouldn't get chance for a flat recovery I suppose I'm conscious given WORK I don't get the hill training in that I used to.

I don't even have a local hill to do reps on therefore my evening runs are an out and back or a looped very flat one.

just run up and down your stairs 100 times like i said
    its free you know

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    its free you know
    Neighbours wont appreciate the thud thud thud though

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    its free you know
    there's far too much 'traffic' going up and down my staircase that and rogue shoes to fall over!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Neighbours wont appreciate the thud thud thud though
    oi.... I have lighter than light fairy type footsteps don't you know!

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I'm not really sure how I can compare

easy just do stair master on one leg

treadmill only on the other

and see which leg does best in next race

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    easy just do stair master on one leg

treadmill only on the other

and see which leg does best in next race

hee hee!! like it! in fact the stairmaster is next to the treadmill I could even attempt both at the same time?