Thread: Corinne Favre

Feet in the Cowclaps

Corinne Favre

The French mountain running champion Corinne Favre has had a bad accident while climbing in Nepal. Let's hope she pulls through. It doesn't look good.

Re: Corinne Favre

Yes lets hope she is ok, never nice to hear of anyone having a bad accident although you might need to translate some of that article

Feet in the Cowclaps

A block of ice came down on her and her sherpa.
    She's got a broken arm, fractured ribs, a collapsed lung..

Aye, bad news. Serac falls seem so random.

Let's hope her strength gives her full recovery.

Cheers, Ali

Rough translation, I will have some of this wrong:

Corinne Favret was a victim of a serious accident at Pumori (7,161 metres), Nepal.

She was taking part in a French expedition and then took part in the Everest Lafuma Sky Race.

The accident happened on the descent of Pumori last Sunday. The party were the victim of an enormous block of ice which had detached from the mountain. Corinne and a Sherpa fell.

They were rescued a 5,700 metres. They were brought down to Gorak Shep (5,140m). They spent the night under the watch of friends and a French doctor.

The initial prognosis on Corinne Favre is not encouraging: broken upper arm, multiple broken ribs and perhaps a ?collapsed lung? (bleeding/discharge of air in the lung). She also has a facial edema(?) and a saturation of oxygen at 45%. A critical rate at that altitude.

When the emergency helicopter arrived on Monday,she was not more concious.

She was repatriated(?) to Kathmandu.

We wait for more news.

We hope with all our heart that this pioneer of trail has the resources to exit this ?(deep death) (coma?)

For those who want to send messages of support, you can write to this address : [email protected]
    I assume "deep death" means coma.

And a follow up

The latest news on Corinne Favre is not good.

Bruno Poirier, the organiser of the "ordeal/test" of Nepal has made contact with our corespondant in Katmandu in order to send news of Corinne Favre, victim of a serious accident during her expedition to the summit at over 7000m.

Access to the hospital was forbidden and news of Corinne was reserved for her family.

All told the French state? (people) have to be very critical. In addition to the multiple fractures, she also suffered from a serious lack of oxygen.

(i think this says) also the doctor of the french embassay refused to comment.

We hope in the day to obtain less disastrous news.
    (I can't promise these translations are correct - there are some odd turns of phrases that I can't always understand, and I may get things the wrong way around)
    Last edited by RichK; 05-11-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Thankyou. It's infinately more than I could make out

Feet in the Cowclaps

Now in intensive care but stable.

According to this, the accident happened on 2nd Nov, and she was lucky enough to be flow out from Gorak Shep on Monday 3rd Nov:
    http://www.ambafrance-np.org/article...id_article=961

A bit more info here saying that she has regained consciousness and is awaiting repatriation back to France:
    http://smag.over-blog.com/article-24425152.html

And more recent update here dated 10th Nov, saying that she has just left intensive care:
    http://www.tenforme.com/tenforme/the...dex.htm?id=213

I was in the BaseCampTrek office in Kathmandu last Tuesday, but only heard about this dreadful accident once I got back to the UK.
    I am assuming that Corinne was planning on competing in the Everest Sky Race which starts from Lukla around today.