Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brave or Bonkers?

Brave or Bonkers?

Quote from the diary on the Kinder Mountain Rescue website (http://www.kmrt.org.uk/site_2005/diary_feb_07.shtm) referring to an exercise on Kinder on 11th February:
    "As we walked up to the {Brown Knoll} Trig point the frozen ground finally decided to melt, and we plunged, knee deep into the mud. We decided to take a well earned brew, only to be told on the radio to “Get on with it and get to Edale Cross as quickly as you can”. We packed up and headed off. The drifts were getting deeper and deeper as the wind was getting stronger and colder.
    From out of the mist a group of fell runners appeared. I can’t decide if these guys running through the snow in minimal kit are brave or bonkers. But they just said hello and ran off into the mist."

Brave, bonkers, or something else? Discuss.
    Last edited by Marvin; 19-02-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Re: Brave or Bonkers?

Definately bonkers. Life would be dull otherwise!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Quote from the diary on the Kinder Mountain Rescue website (http://www.kmrt.org.uk/site_2005/diary_feb_07.shtm) referring to an exercise on Kinder on 11th February:
    "As we walked up to the {Brown Knoll} Trig point the frozen ground finally decided to melt, and we plunged, knee deep into the mud. We decided to take a well earned brew, only to be told on the radio to “Get on with it and get to Edale Cross as quickly as you can”. We packed up and headed off. The drifts were getting deeper and deeper as the wind was getting stronger and colder.
    From out of the mist a group of fell runners appeared. I can’t decide if these guys running through the snow in minimal kit are brave or bonkers. But they just said hello and ran off into the mist."

yes bonkers defo
    this was going through my mind on the edale recce as i plunged in the bog up to my waist
    smiling mind

Oh, something else without a doubt! We have discovered (re-discovered??) an ancient form of communion with nature that no goretex swaddled, rucksacked, booted and gaitered walker will ever understand!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Why weren't they at Winter Hill that day?

I went out for a great run in the snow two years ago and found that my description of the weather didn't match the MRT's description! My running diary for 28/12/04:
    "Heavy snow, but ground not frozen enough. Hence boggy patches very boggy, paths icy, off track heather covered in snow! Very slow going and tough. Fortunately weather quite okay - mist early on, a cold wind, and one short hail shower. Met man with headtorch then runners worried about a rucksack on fire! Also bumped into Andie Howie."
    The man with the headtorch seemed strange - he didn't acknowledge me and had no waterproofs on. After I passed him I met some runners at the Downfall who asked me "Have you seen a naked man?" after having found the burnt rucksack. I told him I'd seen him heading towards Jacob's Ladder and they said they'd tell the MRT when they got down...
    I bumped into the guy who ran the rescue a week later - they never got my message, but the guy reported in at Edale and said he'd spent the night at the Downfall and had burnt his rucksack to keep warm! The Kinder MRT's website reported it as:
    "An abandoned rucksack was found by members of the public at Kinder Downfall. In a Christmas gift, the Police helicoptered team members part way up the hill. In sub-zero temperatures and 30-40mph winds, five hill parties searched the main areas and routes around the downfall. Nothing found."

Oo-er that would be us then. And we thought we were quite well prepared and wrapped up, full thermals and body cover, map,compass, GPS, food + water. All in a good run from Hope round the skyline as far as Jacobs Ladder (time constraints) and back to Edale.

Brrrrrrrrrrr sounds chilly!!! Not the first time i've heard of nudity up there , a mate was doing the Pennine way years ago and saw a man stark bollock naked apart from boots and woolly hat strolling down jacobs ladder. Maybe it's a new club, i think we should be told...............

C'mon all you Naked Ramblers, show yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Brrrrrrrrrrr sounds chilly!!! Not the first time i've heard of nudity up there , a mate was doing the Pennine way years ago and saw a man stark bollock naked apart from boots and woolly hat strolling down jacobs ladder. Maybe it's a new club, i think we should be told...............

I reckon that could be Mr G Manhood of Skyline Fame!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post

Or maybe not. (in certain instances)
    could that be construed as bonkers ??
    my nose runs faster than my feet.
    www.ukfellponies.org.uk