Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brave or Bonkers?

Re: Brave or Bonkers?

It's ok milli, I'll copy & paste for you....

Quote Originally Posted by daleside
    That raving minx Millispeed joined us for a run. We were trying to reccy the route, however she decided to spend most of it bog snorkelling. She got totally drunk & got barred for life from the Peny ghent cafe.
    Last edited by AllanT; 22-02-2007 at 09:57 PM.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    You're welcome.

I've put a special view of Daleside up for you. shame it is a bit small.
    My magnifying glass reveals a paticularly fine arse

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Why is DS calling you Millipeed now? Should you really be called Millispeed?
    Maybe she kept stopping for some reason

Bill

Just thought of another idea, take loads on training runs then when you run it'll be easier, this is an old idea i admit. Must go, need to pop to B&Q to but a kitchen sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Quote from the diary on the Kinder Mountain Rescue website (http://www.kmrt.org.uk/site_2005/diary_feb_07.shtm) referring to an exercise on Kinder on 11th February:
    "As we walked up to the {Brown Knoll} Trig point the frozen ground finally decided to melt, and we plunged, knee deep into the mud. We decided to take a well earned brew, only to be told on the radio to “Get on with it and get to Edale Cross as quickly as you can”. We packed up and headed off. The drifts were getting deeper and deeper as the wind was getting stronger and colder.
    From out of the mist a group of fell runners appeared. I can’t decide if these guys running through the snow in minimal kit are brave or bonkers. But they just said hello and ran off into the mist."

Brave, bonkers, or something else? Discuss.
    So far I've held off on this one.... but, bugger it....

As one who is well aquainted with KMRT, who are a good bunch, despite the massive amount of stuff they cart about (which, might be handy in a tricky situation)...
    and as one who is often seen up there all climes, with little or no gear (just a faithful Dog to call out the rescue)... we are often, rather silly, definately bonkers, mostly well able to sort ourselves out... and mostly we understand the risks involved... and sometimes we might get caught out...
    and most folks in the KMRT know & understand...

Well if you'll have the tuppence worth of a newbie, here it is. I reckon to do the kind of exploits on fells we do with regularity you have to be both brave and bonkers, plus a few other traits. Lets face it, there is an element of danger in heading out into the fells to run on them in minimal kit, but you also have to be bonkers to want to! Self reliance and "fell-hardiness" come into it, an afinity with the hills, and not to panic and have the knowledge of what to do if the midden hits the windmill. Fell running wouldn't be the same without that. Its an incredably pure sport, little kit and incentive, other than a love for the fells and runing on them. Yeah its a bit mental, but hey so are we!
    New, young and ignorant.

Caught in the struggle of boy vs father.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    ... you also have to be bonkers to want to! ... Yeah its a bit mental, but hey so are we!
    Having a very poor memory helps - you forget how bad it was. If you look at that video somebody's put on the Edale thread and watch Lloydio struggling to run - I'm sure I can't remember it as bad as that. And I certainly don't remember that weird music. Mind you, I'm a bit Mutt'n'Jeff these days.

Now, what was I doing? ....