Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brave or Bonkers?

Re: Brave or Bonkers?

I kind of have the urge to go a wandering on a mountain in my birthday suit all of a sudden

This all sounds like perfectly normal behaviour for fell runners, it's the rest of the world that have the problem.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    I kind of have the urge to go a wandering on a mountain in my birthday suit all of a sudden
    JPEGS please OHW

I reckon i must be missing something. These fellas weren't lost, didn't put anyone else in danger and as far as we know competent at navigation, so what exactly was the local MRT problem? This on a day when a family took a five year old onto Scafell Pike and a baby in Feb and got lost.Now i can understand why anyone has a problem with them. Thank God the climbers they met raised the alarm when the family didn't appear.

I aim not to get lost this weekend on the NY Moors,lol, fairly impossible on the Lyke Wake Route.

erm.. yep quite sane to me! as often i get told i am bonkers

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I reckon i must be missing something. These fellas weren't lost, didn't put anyone else in danger and as far as we know competent at navigation, so what exactly was the local MRT problem
    As one of the 'offenders' I think this was meant more as a passing comment than serious critisism, at least I hope that's the case. The comment was in an MRT daily diary entry not an incident report. Incidently some other diary entries make interesting reading with some 'exiting' exploits in a Landrover.

As you rightly say we were pretty well equiped as can be seen in the photo and would like to think we were competent enough, at least we managed to find Brown Knoll by a fairly direct route from Lords Seat.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    As one of the 'offenders' I think this was meant more as a passing comment than serious critisism, at least I hope that's the case. The comment was in an MRT daily diary entry not an incident report. Incidently some other diary entries make interesting reading with some 'exiting' exploits in a Landrover.

As you rightly say we were pretty well equiped as can be seen in the photo and would like to think we were competent enough, at least we managed to find Brown Knoll by a fairly direct route from Lords Seat.
    As the initiator of this thread, I should point out that I didn't see it as criticism.

It's interesting to see how loaded down with packs etc. some non-runners are when they go into the hills. I like to think that I am carrying enough kit so that if I injure myself, I will be able to keep warm enough to avoid hypothermia, that I am carrying enough fluids, and that I have some emergency food, but that doesn't mean bulk. Much of the kit we carry these days is warm and dry, but also very light and compact.

I'd definitely consider myself to be on the bonkers side of the fence, as viewed by most the UK population, rather than brave. But from a personal point of view what I love about running in the hills, particularly when there's snow about, is the absence of constraints. It doesn't feel bonkers to me.

If I die when running out on the hills, I hope I don't cause anyone else too much trouble, but as I have discussed with my wife, what better place to be when your time is up!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    I reckon i must be missing something. These fellas weren't lost, didn't put anyone else in danger and as far as we know competent at navigation, so what exactly was the local MRT problem?
    The MRT did not state that fell runners were a problem.

However we all take the risk that a serious injury on the fells could incapacitate us and, as fell runners only carry the minimum of clothing, our actions could be consdered by some people as foolish.

We don't have much margin for error and rely on our fitness and mountain skills to survive.

The MRT would be left to pick of the pieces if a fell runner went too far wrong.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Master and MR

we rely a lot on the ability to remove ourselves from danger quickly, it doesnt take us long to get off the fells
    dont forget a lot of us think walkers are bonkers for settin off with a 60 pound pack complete with ice axe etc etc
    so it works both ways

38DD

As the second of the 4 'fatboys' the MRT is talking about, I have to say there was never any real chance of us getting off anywhere quickly.

And Big Fella as to the 'fairly direct route' , Im guessing you are forgetting about the 'slight' detour before we found the trod past the boundary stone? and is this a good time to mention the bearing you suggested we should take from brown knoll?

All that said, the only danger we were in was the risk of getting back too late for a pint in the cheshire cheese.