Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brave or Bonkers?

Re: Brave or Bonkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    It's interesting to see how loaded down with packs etc. some non-runners are when they go into the hills. I like to think that I am carrying enough kit so that if I injure myself, I will be able to keep warm enough to avoid hypothermia, that I am carrying enough fluids, and that I have some emergency food, but that doesn't mean bulk. Much of the kit we carry these days is warm and dry, but also very light and compact.
    As a fellrunner can you take enough kit to keep warm if you injure yourself, the more you carry the less you are able to run.
    Last night I had too much gear in my sack (I don't even wear a sack normally for short, less than 6 hour, runs) Three pairs of gloves/mitts, marmot driclimb jacket/trousers, event jacket and triplepoint trousers, balaclava and hat while wearing the lightest weight powerstretch tights/top under a pertex jacket.
    I would not have liked to stop and wait for someone to rescue me (stopped on top of Pillar for 6mins well 6:20 to have a good drink and something to eat and my hands did not get warm again till the top of Scoat fell)
    going by the size of bum bags/sacks of other runners I've been with they carry a lot less than that.

Bill

If the MRT think you lot are bonkers I wonder what they make of the bats and owls

Smile Re: Brave or Bonkers?

Quote Originally Posted by 38DD View Post
    And Big Fella as to the 'fairly direct route' , Im guessing you are forgetting about the 'slight' detour before we found the trod past the boundary stone? and is this a good time to mention the bearing you suggested we should take from brown knoll?
    No, its never a good time to mention that :-). Ok we turned off the main path one fence too soon and yes the bearing of 'due West' on the official route description would seem to be somewhat wrong. But I did only say 'fairly direct in an attempt to defend our competence.

I'm going up there in an hour or so for another look, now what was it Captain Oates said, "I'm going outside, I may be some time"

never mind the training runs, some don't carry enough for the races intended!!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    never mind the training runs, some don't carry enough for the races intended!!
    I usually carry more in a race than a training run

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I usually carry more in a race than a training run

Bill
    I must admit I,m guilty of that myself, having said that no one checks your bag for a training run.
    my nose runs faster than my feet.
    www.ukfellponies.org.uk

yes big fella it was a comment and not criticism. I think Marvin understood where i was coming from. I also agree totally with what you said. I agree with you daz, myself and mates helped a lass going up Ben Nevis in June with an ice axe , i kid u not. It's amazing how the more inexperienced walker carries more, as you gain experience you shed weight. ergo , does this this mean fell runners are super experienced? Am i talking rubbish?

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    You are a perve.
    Ah, right, thanks for that Milli

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    yes big fella it was a comment and not criticism. I think Marvin understood where i was coming from. I also agree totally with what you said. I agree with you daz, myself and mates helped a lass going up Ben Nevis in June with an ice axe , i kid u not. It's amazing how the more inexperienced walker carries more, as you gain experience you shed weight. ergo , does this this mean fell runners are super experienced? Am i talking rubbish?

i think after a while of walking and running you know what to take and wear not to take it if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    You're welcome.

I've put a special view of Daleside up for you. shame it is a bit small.
    Why is DS calling you Millipeed now? Should you really be called Millispeed?
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    I kind of have the urge to go a wandering on a mountain in my birthday suit all of a sudden
    Any chance I could join you, for a 'ramble'???....
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!