Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BG attempts - Wasdale parking

Angry BG attempts - Wasdale parking

The News page of the BG Club website now includes an item regarding difficulties that have been experienced by the National Trust and its staff in connection with its Brackenclose car park and related issues.

Here is the link:

http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/index.php?page=news

I won't carry on at length about this, save to say that those who are making BG attempts must please ensure that their support teams are aware of this issue and must ensure they behave accordingly.

Thanks.

Morgan

Fellhound

Re: BG attempts - Wasdale park

I must admit, certain aspects of NT policy rankle with me. Their car park charges are often close to ridiculous (Watendlath!). I don’t object to being asked to support the NT as I broadly agree with what they are trying to achieve but I do object to having money extracted from my pockets because I park on a piece of NT land.

The news article linked to above contains the statement “the National Trust own..” If I might be so bold as to suggest it, they don’t really “own” anything. We own it. They hold these properties in trust for all of us. Either that, or perhaps they are not really a Trust at all?

ignoring the rant

Morgan
    it would be useful to know the charges. This would allow attemptees to supply their support teams with the necessary coinage. perhaps you could include in the BGC message.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    ignoring the rant

Morgan
    it would be useful to know the charges. This would allow attemptees to supply their support teams with the necessary coinage. perhaps you could include in the BGC message.
    If it's anything like the other NT car parks in the Lakes, it'll be something useful like £5.20.

One other point - don't park in the obvious spot next to the bridge just below Brackenclose, it's used by the MRT.

Morgan, why does the news item state "unless vehicles belong to NT life members"? Surely any type of NT member can use the car park free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by FallingWithStyle View Post
    Morgan, why does the news item state "unless vehicles belong to NT life members"? Surely any type of NT member can use the car park free of charge.
    I'm sure you're right FWS. Membership (not just life membership) of the NT entitles you to park free, but you have to show evidence of membership either via a car sticker or membership card in the window.

The NT holds the land and properties, and those who pay membership have already paid for their parking. Those who haven't already paid NT membership, cough up - why should members subsidise them.

Stop whinging Trundler, and follow the reasonable guidance that's on the BG site!
    Last edited by Marvin; 07-11-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    ... Those who haven't already paid NT membership, cough up - why should members subsidise them.
    It sounds as though public spaces and laybys, where we once parked to go for a walk/run, are slowly falling into 'private' ownership. Perhaps the high parking charges imposed by the NT have something to do with the fact that this car park is usually quiet - it used to be very busy a few years ago.
    Similar things happen nearer my home, in North Wales, where not only car parks have become pay & display but there are also barriers that go down at sunset. No wonder hardly anyone parks there.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    It sounds as though public spaces and laybys, where we once parked to go for a walk/run, are slowly falling into 'private' ownership. Perhaps the high parking charges imposed by the NT have something to do with the fact that this car park is usually quiet - it used to be very busy a few years ago.
    Similar things happen nearer my home, in North Wales, where not only car parks have become pay & display but there are also barriers that go down at sunset. No wonder hardly anyone parks there.
    Yiannis
    I agree that some of the parking charges seem to bear no relationship to the cost of providing the service, and I avoid some car parks because of that. I'm not defending the size of the charges, or the move to charging for more and more places, I just feel that I've made a decision to join the NT so that I don't have to pay any more for parking in their car parks. Others clearly choose not to join, in which case if you do use the car park, pay up.

I can't see a problem - just join the NT. Also, be thankful of the high parking charge - this means that there's a good chance there will be spaces left when you arrive.

Thanks everyone for the various messages.

Mostly broadly sympathetic to the problem, if chastened by the cost!

I will see if I can find out what the charges are and add this to the message.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the position with membership and parking for free; I will sort that aspect out also and revise the note on the website.

It feels like a similar item added to the Club's Guidance Notes would also be helpful.

Morgan