Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which rucksack?

which rucksack?

Ok guys,my other half has decided she wants to have a go at the WHW so im looking to top up on all the gear,thing is neither of us has a rucksack and i dont know whats on the market,whats any good,what size etc..........any info will be great ta.

Re: which rucksack?

Matt, will she be running or walking, full-on camping, bivvying, hostelling? Look back 4 pages in the Equipment thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Matt, will she be running or walking, full-on camping, bivvying, hostelling? Look back 4 pages in the Equipment thread.
    I have done mate and cant seem to find anything!! We will be walking it,camping all the way,im thinking i will need a larger pack cos im gonna end up carrying some of her kit

Quote Originally Posted by MattHunt View Post
    I have done mate and cant seem to find anything!! We will be walking it,camping all the way,im thinking i will need a larger pack cos im gonna end up carrying some of her kit
    Matt, The bigger pack you take the more you will carry.

45-50 for Mrs MH and 50-55 for you should be ample, if you can get it smaller so much the better.

MrsIDP and myself did 3 weeks around Europe with 50 and 60 and we carried too much. Go lite my friend.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Matt, The bigger pack you take the more you will carry.

45-50 for Mrs MH and 50-55 for you should be ample, if you can get it smaller so much the better.

MrsIDP and myself did 3 weeks around Europe with 50 and 60 and we carried too much. Go lite my friend.

Ian
    cheers Ian,i was looking at bigger packs but thanks for your advice,i will see what i can find.Was in the area this morn,brought a virgin fellrunner out with me and took in Lose Hill,Mam Tor and Lords Seat,not a great distance but still very enjoyable

You can certainly go lighter and smaller - if you have the right gear. I guess it is all a bit of compromise, and budget£££s.

Missus and I are doing 5-7 days in Tasmania (and later NZ) with 30 + 35 litre sacs respectively, everything has to fit. Weather can be all 4 seasons in a day and there is no backup from start to finish, so all food has to be carried. Think we can do it ok, but no room for extravagence (like she wanted to bring a pillow ).
    You could have a look here http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp for a few initial ideas, and other similar websites.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Matt, OMM do (did?) a 45L expedition version of their MM sacs. Supposed to uber light but still v. strong. Plus still ok for running if you pull all the adjustments in tight.
    I have a 10 years old Lowe Alpine Contour Event 35L; not as light as the latest offerings but mega cushty. It has a bladder sleeve and comes with a 'sit-mat' in its own back sleeve. So at a lunch halt you can pull it out and have something to sit on. I used it for a Scottish C2C and set off from Stonehaven with an 18lb pack, which included sleeping/b, sleep mat & Goretex Bivvi bag (no tent)

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Matt, OMM do (did?) a 45L expedition version of their MM sacs. Supposed to uber light but still v. strong. Plus still ok for running if you pull all the adjustments in tight.
    OMM still do a 45 ltr backpack called the Villain (currently available in 2 versions). The lighter of the 2 weighs in at 1050gms, whilst the more comprehensive model ( the MSC version) weighs 1160gms.

Having said that, I would agree wholeheartedly with Molehill, that subject to correct gear choice (often limited by budget) you could go with a smaller and lighter pack, in which case, (imho) the OMM Jirishanca at 35ltrs is worth looking at....

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MattHunt View Post
    Ok guys,my other half has decided she wants to have a go at the WHW so im looking to top up on all the gear,thing is neither of us has a rucksack and i dont know whats on the market,whats any good,what size etc..........any info will be great ta.
    Matt, don't forgot the old travel tip of getting out what you think you need in terms of clothing etc, then taking half of it

Remember that the lightest kit is that which you leave behind.

There are lots of strategies/tricks to keep weight down: only take two sets of clothes - one for walking in and one to keep dry for the camping for example. Walk in shorts when it is raining as your skin dries quicker than clothing.

Not sure of the actual logistics of the WHW but is there anywhere where you can post a set of clothes to/post an old set back? I was thinking of somewhere like Tyndrum. This means you only have to carry 3 or 4 days of stuff rather than 7 or 8.

With a bit of planning and forethought you should be able to cut down the amount of kit you *think* you need.