Page 100 of 264 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2639

Thread: Tonight's Real Ale

Re: Tonight's Real Ale

I am not going to risk being too late for the real ale shop near the train station tonight, so have been and fetched wine for the Sunday journey home from work ..... Could be dangerous, especially as there is track replacement work today meaning in stead of 1 train, I have to catch a train and a bus and another train...

Did the Ripon 10 this morning, one of those odd races where it's uphill for ever and ever and then a bit downhill at the end. Drinking my first all grain brew hopped with bobek. 21p a pint, I'm in heaven.

Woodlander from Eastern Austria - I thought you were in Eastern Australia for a moment! Our first grandchild was born in Brisbane yesterday so I need to look for hill races over there in the next year or so and I thought you might be able to help!!!
    Last edited by Welsh Harrier; 09-05-2010 at 09:53 PM.

I will obviously also need to look for some decent ale over there. Any alternatives to XXXX?

Old Thumper (again)...its a beast of a beer (again)
    and we run because we like it through the broad bright land

1 bottle of rescue Ale and another of Sixer-Strong stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Woodlander from Eastern Austria - I thought you were in Eastern Australia for a moment! Our first grandchild was born in Brisbane yesterday so I need to look for hill races over there in the next year or so and I thought you might be able to help!!!
    Congratulations on birth of your first grandchild. You'll be able to celebrate with a Black Swan when you get over there. If you end up in Austria by mistake you could do worse than visit the Siebenstern Brauerei in Vienna where the Czech owner brews his 7 star beers! I daren't touch a drop until after Sunday's race - it's about 1,250 mtrs (26% gradient in some places) and 5.8km long. No downhill. At 63, I don't do downhill.

Now there's a thing. How about more uphill races or races with a bit less downhill for us oldies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by woodlander View Post
    Congratulations on birth of your first grandchild. You'll be able to celebrate with a Black Swan when you get over there. If you end up in Austria by mistake you could do worse than visit the Siebenstern Brauerei in Vienna where the Czech owner brews his 7 star beers! I daren't touch a drop until after Sunday's race - it's about 1,250 mtrs (26% gradient in some places) and 5.8km long. No downhill. At 63, I don't do downhill.

Now there's a thing. How about more uphill races or races with a bit less downhill for us oldies!!!
    I had a good run up the mountain at a place called Egg in Western Austria a few years ago. Only stopped there because we liked the name of the village. As I got back to the pub where we stayed it filled up with men (at 11 am on a Sunday) all the women carried on up to the church and then when they returned an hour or so later the men all tootled off home again!! Beer was nice from the brewery behind the pub!!

I had a good run up the mountain at a place called Egg in Western Austria a few years ago. Only stopped there because we liked the name of the village. As I got back to the pub where we stayed it filled up with men (at 11 am on a Sunday) all the women carried on up to the church and then when they returned an hour or so later the men all tootled off home again!! Beer was nice from the brewery behind the pub!!
    It's called Frühschoppen (or something like that) and involves much pre-midday drinking! It's very popular with the men as you can imagine, normally there's an accordion player or some chaps masquerading as a brass band to be seen. The voluntary fire-brigade is often to be found at the root of all this kind of misbehaviour. As for myself, today it was a brace of Gold Fassl beers...I'm afraid my training for the weekend's big hill (Man v. Train) is rapidly becoming undone. So I'm tempted to think of it, my forthcoming dismal ascent of those 1,250mtrs as a pre-something-or-other kind of lesson for the Man v. Horse at Llantrwyd Wells if I can get an entry. Mind you, the Full Tour last year was almost a disaster when my all too friendly brother snapped opena dozen cans of Black Label on the eve of the race...but not quite a disaster. I did actually finish! And I wasn't last either!

Aaaah Friday night at the Colomendy!!! Last night a perfect five on the pumps - Phoenix Hopsack, Williams' Birds and Bees, Cheeky Pheasant from George Wright, Slaters' Honey Bee and to round it off Centurion's Ghost from York Brewery. Well worth the 9 mile run over the mountain to get there.
    Looking forward to tomorrow night - will let you know what's been run and drunk.