Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Asthma

Re: Asthma

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

Hello, thanks.
    They're not technical gear, don't worry, they are stretchy headband type things (don't be put off by the odd ways that they suggest you wear them!) that can work just like hair bands do. If that makes sense. I wear one around my neck to keep my throat warm and sometimes over my mouth and one to keep my ears warm. they don't have to come in silly patterns either! I also wear mine under my climbing helmet and when my hair's looking pants when camping and.. the list is endless...
    Not really a necessity but I don't know what I'd do without mine

cold air is drier so as you breathe you lose moisture. I'm told that asthma can be related to dehydration so if you cover your mouth/nose when breathing it catches some of the moisture and you can breath it in again. Or so runnersworld in Canada told me!

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    http://www.buffwear.co.uk/

Hello, thanks.
    They're not technical gear, don't worry, they are stretchy headband type things (don't be put off by the odd ways that they suggest you wear them!) that can work just like hair bands do. If that makes sense. I wear one around my neck to keep my throat warm and sometimes over my mouth and one to keep my ears warm. they don't have to come in silly patterns either! I also wear mine under my climbing helmet and when my hair's looking pants when camping and.. the list is endless...
    Not really a necessity but I don't know what I'd do without mine

cold air is drier so as you breathe you lose moisture. I'm told that asthma can be related to dehydration so if you cover your mouth/nose when breathing it catches some of the moisture and you can breath it in again. Or so runnersworld in Canada told me!

Makes sense that, thank you! they look pretty wicked too! i might go for the patterned one! i like something different...

Just watched one of those vids on the Buff, LOVE IT!!! i will have to make sure i pick a cute one!

Thanks!
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 31-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum...

Can i please ask what you mean by a buff? the reason i am asking is because i am a beginner to running, and last christmas i had pnuemonia, and this year i have a few attacks of pleurisy, and at present i am getting over tonisilitus/cough etc, and i went to the doctors today, for two things, one being my breathing is shocking, so i was given a breathing tube, i have to monitor my puff in it, upto now it can get between 200 and 260 i was told to do the chart for 2 weeks, if its up and down then i will need to go see the Asthma nurse, but at present also i am buying clothes so i can go running, so if a buff is something i need to buy, and will help my breathing be less harsh, its worth asking! and thank you for adding your feedback. H
    A Buff is a cylindrical piece of material that can be shaped for different purposes, from sheilding your mouth, wearing on your head, or around your neck. They come in lots of differing designs (mines a Taz one) Usually can be found in the majority of outdoor shops or definately in Winfields up in Haslingden.
    http://www.buffwear.co.uk/ is the main online shop for them, but they can be picked up most outdoorsy places.
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

Thanks Vince, ordering 2 today...

I in the end only ordered 1
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 10-01-2009 at 12:30 PM.

I didnt know about a link between Asthma and dehydration at all, but then I don't read up on these things very much despite having had asthma for many years. Any more info on it?

My nurse mentioned it but I don't know much else. A couple of academic research links if you are able to access them:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...6/990607071643

.htmhttp://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier= ADA417071

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...106s1/art00002
    Damn, I can't do that today, I'm wearing the wrong pants.

ta - will have a look at it & report back if anything to share

I've just been given a peak flow metre, what sort of readings are people getting on this?

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    I've just been given a peak flow metre, what sort of readings are people getting on this?

depends...... Have you any other meds to take etc?? Before my ongoing rounds of doctor visiting and tablet taking it was only a measly 300!

I'm on the singulair tabs daily and the combined steroid inhaler and now it's up to 500 on average....still strugglung with the weather as it's the cold icy winds making it worse on a run

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Have been down at 300 ish, now stable at 580. Drops to 400 on a bad day after a cold and damp run though.

Don't panic if you're low at the moment, it will improve. Will generally be lower in the morning too. Fill out the graph thing that they've probably given you so you can keep an eye on it.

Long-term, probably when you're through your illness, I'm told the Alexander Technique can help but I don't know anything about it.
    Damn, I can't do that today, I'm wearing the wrong pants.